End Grain Cutting Board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayen

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of the optimum size of each block? I have some 52mm steamed beech so I was going to make each block 45 x 45, but I'm now wondering if at that size the board might become unstable and prone to shrinkage. Will I be better off with something like 35 x 35? I plan on making it around 50-60 mm thick. Thanks in advance.

I made one using walnut, padouk and cherry once. It's probably better to keep the blocks as cubes and you will certainly loose at least 5 mm in thickness after sanding. After a year or so the whole block now looks very ' muddy brown ' in colour so next time I think I would include some maple or sycamore to lighten it up. :rolleyes:

Rectangular blocks in a brick pattern is my preference. Golden rectangle gives a good size to each block

Try to keep the top and edge surfaces all the same way round from plank to finished board then the movement issues "shouldn’t " be much of an issue. This also means that block size doesn’t matter.
When I used to make these I glued a sacrificial strip to one end and put them across my planer then thicknessed them, all through a Tersa blades machine, saved a huge amount of work!
Ian

Thanks Ian, - "I glued a sacrificial strip to one end and put them across my planer then thicknessed them" - is that to account for the breakout as you're planing endgrain? I have a spiral carbide PT but hadn't considered planing it, but I'll give it a go 👍
Kev

Try to keep the top and edge surfaces all the same way round from plank to finished board then the movement issues "shouldn’t " be much of an issue. This also means that block size doesn’t matter.
When I used to make these I glued a sacrificial strip to one end and put them across my planer then thicknessed them, all through a Tersa blades machine, saved a huge amount of work!
Ian
Excellent advice!

Back