Buying green logs for windsor chairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Will

Reaction score
Hiya,

I'd like to make some Windsor chairs, Curtis Buchanan style for example, can anyone advise on where I could view / buy a green log, ideally ash or oak?
I'm located in East Anglia,

Thanks

I've watched 2 videos,
Avoid knots, twisted/spiral bark, and cone shaped logs,

That's everything I know.

Any local community woodlands? Wildlife trusts might be worth asking, they'll be looking to do woodland work before long.

Avoid trees grown on their own in the open if possible, the grain is often difficult

I've watched 2 videos,
Avoid knots, twisted/spiral bark, and cone shaped logs,

That's everything I know.
OK, there should be something in there about riving and selecting oak stems.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...n-august-aka-welcome-to-the-dark-side.130391/
There is some very nice oak in Hatfield forest so they may have something there for you to work with. You fly over when going into into Stansted airport and I think that would be my first port of call.

Last edited:
Sent a couple of messages to a saw mill and forestry commission, I also contacted a Windsor chair maker in east Anglia and he said he made his from dried timber because he struggled to source anything green, so I think that's question answered.
There is Thetford forest, but looking at the forestry commission website the log sales are sold by the tonne.
Anywho, I read your messages on riving and selection, very informative and enjoyable, thanks for posting,
Cheers ,Will

Didn't they used to use coppiced wood for these? In which case you might find an old copse, or a tree that has been cut and then regrown. Still leaves the seat though.
You gonna use a pole lathe, for extra authenticity? :)

they used sawn elm for the seats. And mature coppice Ash or beech never normally oak. The best were made from yew which needs lots of experience with selection for steam bending( saplings are often used.)
Any decent straightish tree will split into lengths for the legs. Working green wood is a pain and the legs/seat is best dry material. Even the bows are far better air dried somewhat as fully green wood will distort greatly when drying after steaming and bending. Serious chairmaking is an art and selection of material is really critical. Working green wood despite being romantic to many people isn't necessarily traditional . The craftsmen of old were very well versed in there materials properties. Hence stretchers really need to stretch the legs otherwise they pop out in a few years.

Attachments

• 16966763001832644242669889853919.jpg
    16966763001832644242669889853919.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Hi johnnyb, Which direction do stretchers, stretch the leg? Are they pushing the leg out in the direction of the sightline?
I've seen a few Windsor's for sale on UK websites that don't have stretchers on the legs, are they sacrificing longevity for aesthetics? Do you think it's feasible to construct a suitably robust leg without stretchers?
Cheers, Will

They push outwards so the stretchers are longer than the measure. It's possible to make a chair without stretchers BUT unless there clunky they wobble after a few seasons. And oft times they wobble when built. English windsors have thin seats. Us windsors use very thick white pine seats.

Just to explain why legs socketed into seats at the back is a very stressed joint. And round mortice and tenons are not amazingly strong having no shoulder to speak of and not always made real tight ( as they should be. ) because of assembly / disassembly they can get loose quick. And pva won't fix this.

Just so you know how to fit stretchers properly. Fit your legs in the sockets with the stretcher holes facing correctly. Measure using 2 sticks in the stretcher holes. Cut 1/2 inch or more over length. Put stretchers in legs with glue on everything. Put sockets into seat holes and bash them in being very very careful to not to smash through the blind holes by listening for the bottoms. Hit each leg in turn

Back