Wood Options for making Painted Wood Furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like beech for painted stuff tulips a bit soft ( and american) there both a bit unstable tbh. having priced some oak at over £10000 per cubic metre! I'd not hesitate to use lipped mdf.
Yes, the timber called 'Tulipwood' is an American species bu,t in the UK, its genus (liriodendron) is known as Poplar. For cope & stick panels and doors it's perfect (and takes a paint finish really well) ...

Tulipwood is Liriodendron tulipifera often planted as a decorative tree as the leaves are unusually shaped and in autumn are nicely coloured. As far as I know it is not grown commercially in Europe so why not use poplar which is cheap at least here in France?

European poplar is very light and very soft if the Spanish stuff in poplar ply is anything to go by. beech is quite a bit harder than tulip. which makes it crisper and its got more doff as a door when it being shut( clunk)

Personally if being painted and you want to work in timber (for the framing anyway) Red Meranti is nice to work with and cheaper than Oak. I'd use that and MRMDF.

Back