Which wood for bathroom cabinet?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyBeBop

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to install some shelves in a recessed part of my bathroom, and I also want to add a door (around 60cm x 60cm). I'm considering which wood to use. Recently, I discovered that pine louvre doors are quite affordable, so that could solve my door construction, and I could buy pine to build the rest. However, I'm open to suggestions for different wood types. My nearest timber merchant offers Iroko, Sapelle, Oak, Ash, Walnut, Tulip, and Meranti, but my knowledge of wood is minimal.

Another option I'm considering is building it with Birch plywood, as it's a style that I don't dislike.

Thank you

I've actually made a lot of Louvre doors and they are tricky. You don't have much material to trim if they are oversize. They accumulate dust on the slats so a brush hoovering every now and then is necessary. However, I presume you are going to buy them . Pine tends to wick moisture after a while leaving stains so a few coats of lacquer helps. A spray can ( pre heated beforehand ) is the only way to go. Lastly some self closing hinges are handy and stops people slamming the doors. Really it comes down to aesthetics - the colour of the wood sets the tone of the room but I still like that exotic look. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back