Hello from Ruislip! Newbie needing assistance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k.halai

Reaction score
Hello!

I've just discovered this forum and looking forward to contributing. I'm a relatively newbie in making furniture and was after some advice. I'm making a desk for my wife and for the desk top I need advice on what wood to purchase and paint. The top should be 18mm thick and 500mm wide. She also wants it to be white that shows the wood grain.

I was initially looking at furniture boards from B&Q but they're either the wrong size or are melamine faced which is difficult to paint white!

Thanks

Kish

Hi and welcome- as far as painting melamine it’s not an issue . I use either undercoat that’s designed for melamine or one of the multi surface paints that are readily available. As for seeing the grain thought that could be a little tricky. Maybe a different type of top will suit your needs better. I’m not that experienced in furniture making but others will offer their advice at some point .

The white and showing woodgrain is called lime wash effect ( if I understand you correctly ), you just paint on thinned white paint and whipe it back off with a rag, it sits in the grain. Then you can clear coat it for extra protection. It works best on open grained wood like Ash and Oak.

If I were you I would not be trying to make furniture with any wood from B and Q because it is mostly garbage.
Solid wood is best or a veneered plywood/ MDF with a solid lipping applied, can be the same wood or a nice contrast.

Ollie

double check what moisture content you need in the wood.
Furniture makers usually go for 9% moisture in the wood. Most box store stuff will likely be 13% or higher.
You’re much better off finding a timbre mill that do kiln dried wood, that you can buy cheaper and with more variety.
Then let the wood acclimatise to your house so when you have it in the house, it doesn’t change shape ir crack.
This might all not be required but it is all stuff factored into professional furniture making.

Best use MFD laminated/veneered material. No drying needed, very stable.
Buy some veneer from capital crispin and buy some mdf from a store.
The only issues uou’ll have is gluing the veneer.
If you can afford a vacuum bag and a small pump, do that.

Thanks @Bingy man and Ollie think I will go for a pine panel that I found online for not much more than the melamine board and white wash it
Possible alternative to whitewash is a coloured hard wax oil - they let a lot more of the wood character show through. Osmo do a nice white one.

As for the material to use, don't rule out sheets. They are stable and much less hassle than solid timber. Ply can look quite striking and good, and veneered MDF will allow you the look of something much more expensive.

If you do go for the pine board, make sure you put the same finish on the top and bottom - any difference can make it cup horribly.

Back