Question from the FNG

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue=Friday

Reaction score
Greetings all.
Newbie here. :)
I'm an avid DIYer who's just bought an Edwardian house that needs..... everything doing to it.

My current problem is related to the beading around the 4 panel doors in the house.
Before I moved in, one of the doors was replaced. this new door doesnt match the others at all.
I have aquired a new 4 panel door of the right size (and it is Very heavy)
However the beading on the door was shot and needed to be removed.

The crux of the problem is the beading on my existing doors appears to be quite unique.
It looks like Ogee but without the little lip at the end.
I would post a picture of the profile but that doesnt appear to be an option here.

Im looking for some router advice. I have some ogee beading from B&Q that is almost right, but will need adjusting to make it usable.
Are there any router experts on here who can help me?.

Cheers
Peter
Huddersfield

Hi and welcome to ukw, you should be able to post pics but you may have to have so many messages 1st . Then just click ghe attach files and either take pic or select from your phone ..

I think you are referring to the beading used to hold the panels in place - technically referred to as a bolection ? I have to ask why is the original ' shot ' if it's a new door ! ?
Originally mouldings were made with hand planes and there were hundreds of patterns. Nowadays most people will try and find a router cutter that matches the originals as much as possible. Some purists will even have a custom cutter made if the job justifies the cost. As you say perhaps your beading from B+Q could be routed to give the correct pattern. ?

Search out scratch stock or scratch beading tools. You can file the shape you need out of some steel (old handsaw for example) and replicate the profile exactly in the edge of a wide board (makes it easier to hold) then saw the moulding off. For a short run of material it is a inexpensive and simple method to make profiles. You can easily make your own scratch stock or buy one if so inclined.

Pete

Last edited:
If you are looking for router cutters with the more unusual profiles then look at Infinity cutters, I really only use these or Wealdon cutters as they are good quality.

https://www.infinitytools.co.uk/router-bits/17th-century-profile-bit/

https://www.infinitytools.co.uk/router-bits/colonial-period-profile-bit/

If you want to be true to the original profile then another option is the spindle moulder where it is not expensive to get custom profiles made and for more info take a look at @deema 's post about the spindle mouler.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/spindle-moulders.146698/

I think you are referring to the beading used to hold the panels in place - technically referred to as a bolection ? I have to ask why is the original ' shot ' if it's a new door ! ?
Originally mouldings were made with hand planes and there were hundreds of patterns. Nowadays most people will try and find a router cutter that matches the originals as much as possible. Some purists will even have a custom cutter made if the job justifies the cost. As you say perhaps your beading from B+Q could be routed to give the correct pattern. ?
The replacement door i got was not a new one, but definately a period one.
My doorways are an odd size so i was lucky to find one on ebay that was right.
The beading on that door was ill fitting, wrong profile and the paint was put on with what looked to be a knife and fork.

Your thoughts on adjusting the beading i got from B&Q was my thinking too.

Peter

Hi there, and welcome.
We are in a bit of a bind, re being able to offer advice, as we can't see the moulding you are referring to - I'm assuming it is a panel mould of sorts.

What exactly needs to happen to the B&Q moulding to make it suitable? If is is just a matter of removing some stock, you might be able to do this simply with a saw or plane.

When you start out renovating your own property. you soon develop a penchant for looking in all the local skips. You will often find that builders will be throwing out doors etc with mouldings that are an exact match to your property, especially if the skip is in the same street.

I agree with "Inspector", A scratch stock is the way to go. I use old Industrial bandsaw blades from a saw mill. Mine was about 3 inches wide and I have a piece about 6-8 inches long that I have ground, filed etc. to match many antiques furniture moulding profiles. I use it rather like a cabinet scraper and it is really quick and easy on the edge of a board as Inspector says. Routers are too much trouble for small jobs like this (and I have probably more than fifty router cutters).

Hi all, your replies in here have been very helpful, especially from sideways.
I think an ogee twist. I can clamp 2 sections together and route the middle to give the profile ok looking for.
I’ve been able to attack a picture now.
It’s about 29mm x 13mm

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_3849.jpeg
    IMG_3849.jpeg
    740.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back