Whats the best 18 volt drill and impact driver.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marku

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking at buying a new drill and impact driver, I have always had Metabo drills but the last two have not proved very good.

I have been thinking about the dewalt 18 volt 4.0 amp hour set.

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... Lw0QtKml9A

Is there a big difference between the 2.0 amp hour and 4.0 amp hour batteries? (I know the difference is 2.0 amps :lol: )

Are all the batteries interchangeable ie: will the tools sold with 5 amp hour batteries accept 4.0 amp hour batteries.

Any recommendations for other makes etc, they will get some hard use as I do a lot of steel work as well as wood.

Cheers

Mark

I use Milwaukee 18v 5AH drill and impact driver. Very satisfactory. Metal gears etc. Milwaukee bits are not great though.
5Ah battery feels balanced 9n the tool, but is a bit of a faff to get on and ff the charger.
Have used DeWalt (my brother's) and found not as robust and would not drive into hard wood for anywhere near as long and could not drive 150mm timber fix into oak green reliably (often gave up 10mm or so short)
My electrician uses Makita 5Ah and is very satisfied, but he only really does light stuff (no pun intended)
I quite like the idea of the Bosch (blue) where you just stand the drill on the charging station, but have not used one in anger.

To be frank I think they are all rather similar and the differences are marginal.

marku":15genitd said:
Hi

I'm looking at buying a new drill and impact driver, I have always had Metabo drills but the last two have not proved very good.

I have been thinking about the dewalt 18 volt 4.0 amp hour set.

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... Lw0QtKml9A

Is there a big difference between the 2.0 amp hour and 4.0 amp hour batteries? (I know the difference is 2.0 amps :lol: )

The 4s will last twice as long as the 2s.

Are all the batteries interchangeable ie: will the tools sold with 5 amp hour batteries accept 4.0 amp hour batteries.

Any recommendations for other makes etc, they will get some hard use as I do a lot of steel work as well as wood.

Cheers

Mark

The 4s will last twice as long. All XRs are interchangeable. I'm glad I bought the one I originally referred to as I didn't need the hammer but as it happened my old Bosch jigsaw broke down and the cheapest way of replacing it with something good was this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listi ... dition=new
It is awesome - so it's worth looking to future compatibility as well, although that didn't cross my mind at the time.
Change tack slightly - I assume a charger designed for a 2ah would charge a 4ah, just take twice as long?

I asked the same question last year and the feedback was positive for both Milwaukee and Makita. After comparing the two brands I settled for Makita as the cost of subsequent "bare tools" (sold without batteries or cases) is less. After 8 months of daily use I'm still impressed with them.

I must admit to although not having a (serious) problem with Makita, I had a bad experience with their completely non existent customer care they wouldn't even deign to answer my letters - I swore I would not buy another one.

Thanks for the replies, I am swaying towards the Makita, the bare tool cost seems very good once you have got the drill driver set.

Are all the 18 volt Makita drills brushless now, they don't mention it in the specs?

Cheers

Mark

The latest drills are brushless, though the older models are still available to buy. If it doesn't say so in the blurb, look for the BL symbol on the tool itself.
a27017819e1c4f995f86536452357604.gif

Makita DTD154z for impact driver + DHP481 for combi drill.
That impact driver specially is rather impressive with its 4 different modes, so you can even drive small screws with it without problems, it's so much more gentle than a regular impact driver if you need it to be! The DHP481 driver I think had 122nm of power, probably best in the class? That your dewalt has got 80? (still a nice number btw but it's a huge difference when you actually use both for something more heavy-duty).

That set is the best there really is at the moment, your black&decker (Dewalt) set is Okish if you only look at the specs and will use it occasionally , if you want to use it and abuse it and still except it to last indefinetly-chance is you will be disappointed..
I'm not saying that the dewalt is very bad, because it's not if you haven't used anything else as its from their higher price range stuff - just the makita stuff is several classes above it.
Look up some video reviews about your dewalt models VS those makita..

The difference in weight/size for the batteries- Yes. there's a rather large difference, I much prefer to use 2ah batteries if I know I'm working up the ladder or in tight space with one hand for better mobility. The larger batteries are fine if you don't do acrobatics while working & are Godsend when you are mixing something.

I bought a Dewalt Brushless Impact and Combi just before Christmas. I bought the compact Combi and the two speed impact and both have been excellent. I tried the Milwaukee and the Makitas but decided that the Dewalts were lighter and felt better. There's tons of power in both and I notice my Makita loving mate keeps borrowing them despite him having the Makita Brushless option.

I paid £250 for the pair but bought them individually as they worked out £50 cheaper! Mine came with the 2amp Bluetooth batteries. I've not noticed a lot of difference between 2amp and 4amp except for the run time but others swear you get more power from a 4amp. I've got one 4amp and the 2 x 2amp. Very happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stu, if you need a jigsaw get the XR brushless -it's a revelation. I only bought it because I was penny pinching and I already had the batteries and charger. My old mains Bosch was a superb tool, but this battery one will cut depths and curves accurately that I wouldn't even have attempted with the Bosch. Technology moves onwards relentlessly.

Well after a bit of looking on line I think it will be the Makita brushless kit 18volt, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in price between the 4 amp and 5 amp batteries so I think I will pay the extra £20 and go for the largest!

I am hoping to get a 1/2" impact driver as well for bolts etc so the bigger batteries will be good for one of those as well.

Thanks for all the advice.

Mark

When thinking about the relative attributes of larger capacity batteries consider the weight difference between the two it can make a lot of difference between the drills usability in different situations i.e. up a ladder and above your head.

Mike

phil.p":4lz9imy9 said:
Stu, if you need a jigsaw get the XR brushless -it's a revelation. I only bought it because I was penny pinching and I already had the batteries and charger. My old mains Bosch was a superb tool, but this battery one will cut depths and curves accurately that I wouldn't even have attempted with the Bosch. Technology moves onwards relentlessly.

Phil I bought a Carvex about 2 weeks ago!

I did previously have a Ryobi battery one (well I still have it) but I was never happy with it. It was the original green one but it's been replaced now so the new one might be better. To be honest I don't find I need a jigsaw often as most things needed a jigsaw can be cut on the bandsaw. If I do ever need a new battery jigsaw I'll consider the XR Brushless Dewalt. I quite like the look of the mutkitool but again I have a Ryobi one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marku":2lqdk44k said:
Well after a bit of looking on line I think it will be the Makita brushless kit 18volt, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in price between the 4 amp and 5 amp batteries so I think I will pay the extra £20 and go for the largest!

I am hoping to get a 1/2" impact driver as well for bolts etc so the bigger batteries will be good for one of those as well.

Thanks for all the advice.

Mark
Fake Makita batteries can be bought for around £35 for 5ah from eBay and Amazon. I have two and I can't detect any difference in performance when compared to official batteries. If I'm being picky, they take a bit of wiggling to sit properly on the charger, but that's a small price to pay for a £50 saving per battery.

Makita for me, we use and abuse them daily at work (stainless steel cladding mainly) and they are fantastic. Great range of other compatible tools as well.

my advice would be go with a brushless makita set cant go wrong really

however, just to throw a wild card in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEAUmjqvLSM

i have one of these and its hands down the best impact ive ever used, i could never go back to a normal impact now. and because of its sustained torque, drilling with self feed bits its a beast with no torque on your wrist

i think its rated at 90nm but i have a 200nm impact and it wipes the floor with it, i think these new oil impulse drivers are the next big thing, an end to the horrible noise of impacts with much better performance

I have asked this question before, "Why do I need an impact driver on timber"? please someone enlighten me, is it just to reduce the torque on your wrist.

Mike

An impact driver isn't strictly necessary, but they do take all the effort out of driving screws. Although the lack of torque on the wrist is good (especially when driving in something big like coach screws), for me the main advantage is not having to put a lot of weight behind the tool to prevent the screwdriver bit slipping. Not so much of a problem when using Torx screws, but try driving those cheap horrible Pozi or Phillips screws which come with light fittings overhead while up a ladder with a cordless drill.

Do that and you'll quickly appreciate an impact driver!

Latest posts

Back