What wood is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Would anyone guess what sort of wood this would be?

wood1.jpg

wood2.jpg

wood3.jpg

beaten me! grain looks a bit walnutish, but wouldn't put my money on it.

pretty work. do you know how old it is?

It's about 5/6 years old.

The legs are great with some added brass details on the feet and also on the back of the chairs.

table-legs-4.jpg

chair-1.jpg

I know a guy who container imports cheap furniture from africa and sub continent and I thought it looked similar to some of that.Apologies if its some native timber antique.No idea of species used though.
cheers John

This stuff is very solid and well made.

Do you have a link to the African import stuff?

It looks like 'Nigerian Golden Walnut' to me. Cut at different angles to the grain.

But I might not know my thumb from a pickled gherkin!

HTH

John :)

As I've said many, many times, there are around 40,000 different types of wood on the face of this planet. There are only two accurate ways to determine the type of timber, the first is a botanical analysis of the tree (leaf and twig structure) and the second is an expert microscopic analysis of an end grain slice...neither of which are provided here. Sorry - Rob

tulsk":2602mhho said:
I know a guy who container imports cheap furniture from africa and sub continent and I thought it looked similar to some of that....
Cheap third world import was my first thought too. I've planed up bits of pallet with similar looking stuff. Vaguely like ramin.

woodbloke":298pbsni said:
As I've said many, many times, there are around 40,000 different types of wood on the face of this planet. There are only two accurate ways to determine the type of timber, the first is a botanical analysis of the tree (leaf and twig structure) and the second is an expert microscopic analysis of an end grain slice...neither of which are provided here. Sorry - Rob

This is so true Rob, but I usually take my timber merchant's word for what I buy. I suppose even they could be wrong mind!

Still, what I see in the picture looks decidedly similar to the stuff I used for my dining suite some 40 odd years ago. It was known as Nigerian Golden Walnut. (I also used NGW at school in the 1950's, for a sewing table for Mum! It even gained me a prize!) Wish I knew what happened to it!

NGW is also known as:

African walnut, Alona wood, Anamenila, Apopo, Benin walnut, Bibolo, Bombulu, Congowood, Dibetou, Dubin biri, Embero, Eyan, Ghana walnut, Lifaki muindo, Lovoa, Lovoa wood, Mpengwa, Nigerian golden walnut, Nigerian walnut, Nivero, Noy.

Regards

John :wink:

Back