What was your favorite sweets when you were a nipper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aniseed balls, pineapple chunks, winter mix, blackjacks, everton mints,, chocolate honeycomb

Lion brand Midget gems. My grandad who lived with us until I was about 5 used to come home from the WMC a couple of times a week with a quarter of them and share them with me.

Looks like I'll be buying a box from aquarterof.co.uk

As mentioned, Kayli of any variety was high up on the list when I was young. Wham bars were my favourite though, the 'proper' 1980's ones which would make your toes curl.

Had one recently and the sourness was feeble. Admittedly, my taste buds are nearly non existent now.

Ooh and butterscotch. My Grandad always had a bag of those. And my Nan was always dishing out lemon bon bons.

The earliest sweets I remember were Tobermory Tatties, Sweet Cigarettes and Fry's 5 Centre Chocolate Cream which we sometimes got at school for some reason. Tobermory Tatties were the best. Guaranteed to rot your soft little teeth and if that didn't get you, it had a little plastic thing in the middle to choke you!! :LOL:

Are Tobermory Tatties anything like Lee's Macaroon Bars? I had an aunt who made the best Macaroon Bars and she sent me the recipe but I was never able to make them taste like anything other than tatties!

Are Tobermory Tatties anything like Lee's Macaroon Bars?
I remember them as flat circular things made from a toffee like material. They were coated in cinnamon. They ware also known as lucky tatties. Macaroon bars were a 110% sugar hit. They nipped my throat, they were so sweet. Soft and quite crumbly, coconut coated. For sweetness, it takes a lot to beat marshmallows. I have managed to break my marshmallow addiction. I would only stop when I began to feel sick.

What was the name of the travel sweets in the round tin?

Dad used to have them in the glovebox!

Cheers James

I remember it very well, sent your mouth different colours – God knows what was in it. We used to pronounce it cailie as in Kay lee, we weren’t so far from Yorkshire on the Southbank of the Humber. Ian
That's the stuff. We called the hard licorice sticks Spanish in those days.

Back in the day just after the war we would buy a couple of ounces of something with a name like kayli. It was a sort of crystalline powder and we'd eat it using sticks of hard liquorice (sucking and dipping)
This was in Yorkshire, anyone remember it and the spelling?

I remember this from my childhood too - 1990's we had a sweet shop close by that had hundreds of jars of sweets where you could have a quarter of something nice.

I remember loving kayli - it was like a fizzy flavoured sugar.

We too used to use hard liquorice to eat it - the best was bassets hard liquorice sticks, you used to bite the end off, and use it like a shovel :p

Lion brand Midget gems. My grandad who lived with us until I was about 5 used to come home from the WMC a couple of times a week with a quarter of them and share them with me.

Looks like I'll be buying a box from aquarterof.co.uk
Ah yes, Midget gems were not midget gems unless they were Lions ones - rock hard they were, also did sports mixture and fruit salad - and were in boxes with a non stick paper insert.

Used to put one of each flavour in for the best effect!

I remember this from my childhood too - 1990's we had a sweet shop close by that had hundreds of jars of sweets where you could have a quarter of something nice.

I remember loving kayli - it was like a fizzy flavoured sugar.

We too used to use hard liquorice to eat it - the best was bassets hard liquorice sticks, you used to bite the end off, and use it like a shovel :p
It was around for a long time then! I was born in the early 1940's.

It wasn't the same as sherbet dip as that seemed more powdery. Perhaps the local shopkeeper knocked up his own version.
We were so starved of sugar we would eat sweetened condensed milk until caught and I had a liking for toothpaste.
Anyone remember Dandelion and Burdock soft drink and Tizer?
Yep, and vimto too😁

Spanish gold tobacco and mini cadburys chocolate dispensers and chocolate smokers kits (different times) at Christmas
Spanish gold tobacco is that the sweet tobacco of my childhood I wonder? It was sold in a cardboard tube rather like the sherbert fountains?
Think all my favourites have been listed, but I'm still very fond of anything with aniseed or licorice in it.
On the walk home from junior school there were 3 sweet shops to choose from. No wonder that we were terror-stricken when the mobile dentist caravan rolled into the school yard once a year.

Wives can join in too Amazing bars, Aztec bars, Mint Cracknel , Caramac , Butter Snap , Peanut Brittle Golf Ball bubble gum .
At last - peanut brittle! And how about the Brazil nut toffee? It was in a big tray and the shopkeeper broke bits off with tiny chromed hammer designed for the job. How I wanted one of those little hammers as a kid.

Last edited:
TEXAN bar - cannot find an equivalent apart from maybe the top half of a double-decker - got bags of pick and mix off ebay - shrimps a favourite as are bananas and of course couch candy

anyone know what the new texan bar name is

Do you know? You are probably the first person that I have come across who remembers Fry's 5 Boys. There used to be a vending machine on our local station. I don't know if it was a West Country thing - what with Fry's being in Bristol - or whether it was available nationwide.
I can remember Fry's 5 Boys and I immediately get a vivid picture of them. I can see the wrapper quite clearly. I'm in Edinburgh, so these boys got all the way up to Scotland too.

Back