What tool did you buy today?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gixen.com BM101. Saved me from doing that a few times.

Though occasionally it refused to bid because the seller hadn't put in a postage price to Ireland (not that they wouldn't - I'd contacted them - but just that they'd not filled in that bit). Harumph.
Still, the addresspal service over here is helping with that now (it's like parcelmotel, only it has a mainland UK address).

Although not bought today but on saturday and will be delivered tomorrow, I got the AIM Tools Katsu trim router with all the bases in the kit they sell on Ebay. This is the first power tool I have bought apart from an erbauer drill for a few years. Will do a review over the next few days.

Why didn't you just put a bid on it? If your maximum bid is going to be £20 then stick it on and forget about it. You either win for £20 or less or you don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":oourhimo said:
Why didn't you just put a bid on it? If your maximum bid is going to be £20 then stick it on and forget about it. You either win for £20 or less or you don't.
Avoiding bidding wars.

MarkDennehy":2yncumko said:
DiscoStu":2yncumko said:
Avoiding bidding wars.

yep, I just use gixen thesedays, put in the price you want to pay and leave it alone, sometimes you loose, but it's a lot easier.

I've only had it a little while Matt but I've come to like it quite a bit already. Really clever engineering is often very simple but well thought out. I would put this firmly in that bracket with its triangle method of establishing angles. Quite obvious when you think about it but very well done by Osborne. Stupendously accurate, enormous fence and even the flip stop is sturdy. What's not to like? (A: price I suppose - just over £100 but worth it to me)

Droogs":1vc63tot said:
Although not bought today but on saturday and will be delivered tomorrow, I got the AIM Tools Katsu trim router with all the bases in the kit they sell on Ebay. This is the first power tool I have bought apart from an erbauer drill for a few years. Will do a review over the next few days.

I'm thinking of getting one of those. Doing a lot of rounding over and could do with a little router dedicated to the task.

An old Eclipse FS70 fret saw & an Eclipse 38 Saw Sharpener ... £1.50 for both.

Burgess BK3 Plus Bandsaw (no blade, but hmm, wonder where I might get one? ;-)) - £15.00

Not a tool i know but took delivery of an Axminster Powercap today and it makes a big difference to the dust problem along with the Record Power AC i took delivery of yesterday.

I *was* going to say I'd bought the veritas morticing gauge from dictum, but apparently DHL delivered it to An Post, who then returned it to sender...

MarkDennehy":5o32izy4 said:
I *was* going to say I'd bought the veritas morticing gauge from dictum, but apparently DHL delivered it to An Post, who then returned it to sender...
WTH??? I know An Post are a bit of a law unto themselves but why the hell did they return it to sender when it presumably had a perfectly good address on it?

This is something I hope DHL will sort for you, since anyone there should realise they shouldn't have bloody delivered it to An Post in the first place :evil: Not a fan of DHL and similar when they do boneheaded stuff like this. My brother used to regularly get "failed to deliver" notifications even with a map indicating the exact location of the house helpfully taped to the package!

That's what happens when you leave something upsidedown on the counter :)

Went and fetched a second-hand Woodstar PT85 Planer/Thicknesser from Burnley yesterday, great condition and very happy with it. Works a treat with my extractor too so that's a cleaning bonus!

ED65":39plce55 said:
MarkDennehy":39plce55 said:
WTH??? I know An Post are a bit of a law unto themselves but why the hell did they return it to sender when it presumably had a perfectly good address on it?
This is something I hope DHL will sort for you, since anyone there should realise they shouldn't have bloody delivered it to An Post in the first place :evil: Not a fan of DHL and similar when they do boneheaded stuff like this. My brother used to regularly get "failed to deliver" notifications even with a map indicating the exact location of the house helpfully taped to the package!
Found out what happened - apparently the address was effectively "Mark Dennehy, Dublin, Ireland" (I'm guessing the address label was damaged because Dictum had my full postal address).
I mean, it's not a very big country, and Dublin's not a very big city, but even so, An Post needed a little bit more than that to go on :D

Dictum's customer service were very good about it though, and the gauge is back on its way to me as we speak...

MarkDennehy":2zf48cuo said:
Found out what happened - apparently the address was effectively "Mark Dennehy, Dublin, Ireland" ... An Post needed a little bit more than that to go on :D
Yes fair enough :lol:

BTW I'm going to try a test soon using only my Eircode, once the thing is in Ireland in theory at least you should be able to get away with using nothing else as it uniquely identifies your location, down to which side of a semi you're living in... we'll see how the reality stacks up.

...except that FedEx, DHL, UPS, Pallet Express, and BOC Ireland have all said they won't be supporting it and the freight trade association of Ireland have filed a complaint about it in the EU, and the emergency services crowd also think it's pants.

Back