What tool did you buy today?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Seen this type of thread on a fair few forums and thought it would be cool to do here. :mrgreen:
Me, I just took delivery of a Festool domino DF500 =D>

A job lot of woodies - arrived yesterday.

Attachments

• Joblot, 29_10_15_A.JPG
    Joblot, 29_10_15_A.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 1,320
Yeah its a beast, will put some pics later.

Bit of sad a story, bought it off this guy from iran who is pretty fantastic enginner producing excellent model steam engines. He had never had the chance to steam them up as the guys at his local club, made him feel unwelcome purely over the colour of his skin. In this day an age you would think a club like that would be welcoming any younger decent egineers with open arms.

But he was selling loads of nice gear to pay off business debts. I felt bad by having this machines but i was also helping him. The guy didnt seem to bothered and said thats life. Quite humbleing really.

Adidat

My most used Chariot is getting a bit long in the tooth so made a start on a copy with a bit of 5mm I've had for ages but decided to put it to one side and try something a bit thinner/simpler for my first attempt.

Will start a thread when I get a bit further along.

I've just received my jig for fitting drawer runners.

Not tried it yet, but it looks the business.

Jonny

JonnyW":3bw6dv0y said:

Jonny

What make did you buy.
Up until now I've been fitting Blum Movento runners and using the Blum jigs but I'm interested in a lower cost alternative.

@James/Zeddedhed. I bought the Rockler universal drawer slide jig. I can't tell you how it works, but will let you know soon, as I'm making a unit with the 'dreaded' drawer slides in them. I have a historical hatred of drawer slides.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodwo...ands-guides-universal-drawer-slide-jig+dk7048

I originally wanted the Kreg, but they no longer make them it appears.

I know from a thread I posted on the subject, that you can use a shim or packers of mdf placed on top of each drawer, and then position the runner on top of the packers and fix, then stick the drawer in place on top of the shims/packers and screw the runner to the drawer - and so it goes until you reach the top drawer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy72BfqSX4I - sorry I'm teaching my grannies how to suck eggs.

This is ok and seems to work a treat, but it's the first drawer slide that has me running for the bottle of vodka. Especially if the bottom of the unit is open to the floor, then you have nothing to position your packers on top of. I'm sure you could pack the bottom off to the desired height etc etc, but I can't really be bothered to tell you the truth.

The Kreg or Rockler jig can be used off the front and bottom-front structural rail. Easy. No packing, no having to keep packers or to cut packers etc etc. (I hope).

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/drawer-slide-jig-buying-advice-t92748.html

Jonny

Zeddedhed":3p6l2fyo said:
JonnyW":3p6l2fyo said:

Jonny

What make did you buy.
Up until now I've been fitting Blum Movento runners and using the Blum jigs but I'm interested in a lower cost alternative.

Just had a look at the Blum Movento runners - they look amazing, but I see why you're looking for lower cost options.

I see they say the runners won't work correctly if their jig is not used!

It's a funny thing Zeddedhed, I've seen amazing pieces of furniture ruined by cheap, clunky, sticky runners - so I can understand why you would go for the best mechanical devices for your units.

Jonny

JonnyW":3dc84xi1 said:
Just had a look at the Blum Movento runners - they look amazing, but I see why you're looking for lower cost options.

Jonny

They are excellent runners. Lots of adjustment and very smooth self close action.
They can be fitted without the jig but if you talk nice to the Blum rep they let you have the jigs for next to nothing and it speeds up fitting no-end.

The problem is that they are very unforgiving when it comes to drawer construction.

I'd like to find some basic slides that could be quickly jig fitted to basic carcasses using box drawers - no rebated bottom panels etc. Just 4 sides and a base screwed together (MDF)

I'd love to hear how you get on with them.

Zeddedhed":2qei6lwt said:
JonnyW":2qei6lwt said:

Jonny

They are excellent runners. Lots of adjustment and very smooth self close action.
They can be fitted without the jig but if you talk nice to the Blum rep they let you have the jigs for next to nothing and it speeds up fitting no-end.

The problem is that they are very unforgiving when it comes to drawer construction.

I'd like to find some basic slides that could be quickly jig fitted to basic carcasses using box drawers - no rebated bottom panels etc. Just 4 sides and a base screwed together (MDF)

I'd love to hear how you get on with them.

That sounds way past my skill level Zeddedhed !

Yeh I'll let you know asap.

Jonny

Technically I bought this last week, but just collected it.

1446900640252.jpg

Surprised at how light it was, The Seller and I loaded it quite comfortably, as I'm on the way home currently (stopped for lunch) it remains to be seen if our lass is quite as comfortable unloading it with me...

Soon I'll be Slot-milling and Surface Grinding till my heart's content, or more making guards for the belt and wheel to aid finger and face retention.

Attachments

• 1446900640252.jpg
    1446900640252.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 223
Three "interesting" items from a barn sale nearby today. Surface rusty Brades 12" drawknife for£2; Boxford toolpost grinder needing new spindle £7. AND immaculate looking but believed to be faulty Elu MOF97 as a gamble for £2…......
Which actually works100%. :D :D . Only problem is it has a 6mm collet and my cutters are all imperial.

Latest posts

Back