What to put in a first aid kit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sort of stuff can cause a lot of legal problems, especially if your kit is in a 'work' environment.

I will probably get stamped on for this but bearing in mind the type of machines we probably all have I would say put a tourniquet in there..... But I sure as hell wouldn't want anyone using it on me unless they were very sure what they were doing.

Cheers for all the useful replies. I was out last night and didn't expect so many on my return.

I have had basic first aid training but that was some time ago. It's always been on my mind to get it updated but never got around to it.

The main reason for the question is because I now have 2 guys working for me. I'm guessing there must be some sort of legal requirement to have a "kit".

If you are a home woodworker can I just suggest you think about how your kit is stored.

Most boxes at work will require two hands to open them and have a fairly tight fitting lid. Not good if you are alone and have a hand injury so only have the free use of the other hand.

The other thing is make sure you have a means to call for help. I tend to take my mobile down to the shed with me and have it clipped to my belt.

One last thing, train the family not to enter your workshop when you're engrossed in a noisy activity, making you jump can be dangerous.. It's happened to me when my wife had managed to creep in without me seeing or hearing her.

Mick

MickCheese":o6j9zsqf said:
One last thing, train the family not to enter your workshop when you're engrossed in a noisy activity, making you jump can be dangerous.. It's happened to me when my wife had managed to creep in without me seeing or hearing her.
Mick

YES YES YES. been there.
The best thing you can do with a first aid box is remove/reduce the need for it.

If you're a employer looking out for your workforce (which shows a responsible, thinking attitude), then proprietary kits are available. How about asking in your local pharmacy for a kit suitable for use by professional woodworkers? They probably won't stock them, but I'll bet they know what's needed and can easily order them.

Good thing to have in it is a tampon....
No seriously, they are sterile until opened and are just a nice size for plugging up a hole left by a slipped chisel or a stab wound....

Back