What sandpaper rolls?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scholar

Established Member
Reaction score
Most of my sanding is done with my (Festool) sanders for which the range of abrasive pads is fine for me.

For hand sanding, I just pick up a roll of whatever I need and is available at Screwfix etc. The last lot I got is very poor and doesn’t last at all (not sure it is branded, coloured brown). This suggests I ought to get a bit more organised.

The only time I have taken much notice of what rolls to buy was on a recommendation to get some Hermes J-Flex sandpaper which is cloth-backed and very good - I recall it was expensive, so I save it for “fine” work!

The job in hand is a sizeable refurbishing of painted windows - what good quality stuff can others recommend?

Cheers

Most of my sanding is done with my (Festool) sanders for which the range of abrasive pads is fine for me.

For hand sanding, I just pick up a roll of whatever I need and is available at Screwfix etc. The last lot I got is very poor and doesn’t last at all (not sure it is branded, coloured brown). This suggests I ought to get a bit more organised.

The only time I have taken much notice of what rolls to buy was on a recommendation to get some Hermes J-Flex sandpaper which is cloth-backed and very good - I recall it was expensive, so I save it for “fine” work!

The job in hand is a sizeable refurbishing of painted windows - what good quality stuff can others recommend?

Cheers
Does abranet fall into the "fine work only" category? I think it is brilliant and while expensive, lasts so much longer than cheap rubbish...

Another vote for Abranet - much cheaper on the roll than pre-cut.

Jim

Thank you - it seems like I need to get with the times and get some Abranet, which I have not used before.

I believe it can be used on Festool (and other) sanders with an intermediate Velcro layer - presumably all versions, precur or on a roll have the same backing that will fix to the intermediate Velcro?

@Sideways I will look at the Mirka hand sanding block - I have a Festool one that is very good for rubbing down paintwork between coats - hopefully with said Velcro intermediate layer, I can use the one I have.

Cheers

If you're using the stuff on a r.o. sander try 3M Cubitron discs. They're better even than Abranet.
These are good with discs (although they've gone up since I bougfht them several weeks ago) -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08XB2ZBBS?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Yes thanks - I was thinking of that and did look into Cubitron for my sanders a while ago (but I still have a large stock of Festool pads to get through) - it does look very good.

The original query here was what to use for hand sanding where I have been using whatever crappy stuff was to hand.

I’m not aware that Cubitron comes in rolls(?)

Cheers

No, I don't think it does, that's why I got the round sanding blocks.

Most of my stuff on reels is Mirka, most of my discs are Klingspor - I tend to use this when sanding dirty or sticky work as when something's going to clog quickly I don't see much point of wasting expensive abrasives.

Yes, the abranet on a roll and precut all fits directly onto a Valcro Pad such as the Festool ones. Extraction performance is excellent.

Jim

Back