What router bit sets NOT to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LocalOak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Just got a new 1/2" router that I will be fitting in a table and need to get some 1/2" bits. The plan is to buy a cheap set to start off with and then buy good quality individual cutters of the ones I use the most etc.

There are so many different versions on the market, via the bay and so on, that rather than ask for suggestions what I should buy I wondered if there were any to avoid?

Suggestions of good ones will of course be gratefully received.

Thanks

Toby

I have always been happy with axminster preform (yellow)router cutters start with straight,self guiding trimming,ovolo,and chamfer.Then as required all 0.5 inch shank.

Toby

Rutlands have a sale on at the mo on router bits. I don't find them too bad at all esp for low use. For more common, heavily used bits its worth spending some money for quality. Wealden would be my choice for these.

Cheers

Tim

If you really mean Sets of router bits, like the ones that come in nice wooden boxes...............

My advice would be to stay away from all of them. The cheaper they are, the nastier. Although if you want to spend a couple of hundred quid on a CMT set - that's different.

I'd agree that the Axminster performs are good value, if slightly limited range. Wealden are good on range, customer service and price. Trend used to be good IMHO nowadays they're trading on their name.

Chris.

I use Perform and Draper, Trend are good but much more expensive.

Roy.

I really like Wealden Tool's router bits. Reasonably priced and very effective.

Digit":22yd7czd said:
I use Perform and Draper, Trend are good but much more expensive.

Roy.

I've got a few Draper and would recommend them, a 6mm straight I abuse cutting dado's still cuts like new and it's the only 6mm I've never managed to snap. OK it cost in excess of £20 but it works out cheaper cos it still works.

I always go for Wealdon too. I do have some of the Rutlands cutters too and they are not bad for the price. As most people have stated Trend over priced. :wink:

Often you can get a deal which includes a set of cutters. They're free, and therefore worth just that - nothing - but I have such a set and use it more often than I expected to. I tend to buy CMT and am very happy with them. I have a few Perform ones, quite good for the price. Given that many people rate Wealden, I think I'll try them next time I buy some.

S

I use good quality cutters for straight and panel raising cutters (Trend, Freud etc.) but for profiles etc. I find most cheap sets are fine as they don't get used that much and as I git a dozen 14/" cutters for £15, they are disposable and I am happy if they last for half a dozen boards.

these days I use end mills instead of straight fluted router cutters as they cost around £4-8 each for 3/16" to 1/2" and are spiral cutters (1/2" spiral router cutters are often 5 times this).

Tony your comment :- I use end mills instead of straight fluted router cutters as they cost around £4-8 each for 3/16" to 1/2" and are spiral cutters (1/2" spiral router cutters are often 5 times this).
I looked up end mills in axminster and they seem to have a screw fixing so how are they mounted and what speed should they run please.

Hi Old
To start with I expect Tony means Slot drills. End mills will not cut on the plunge cut as the teeth will not go to the middle. A slot drill usually has two or three teeth and sometimes four and one of these teeth at least will go to the center and so you can plunge with them. These cutters are really used for milling in a milling machine but do cut very well for wood in a router. The type with the thread on the end is for a Clarkson type chuck. But you can get them with a plain shank and they are all spiral fluted and usually a lot cheaper than router cutters. They would normally be made of high speed steel but you can get solid carbide which will last and last if you take care of them. In this I mean don't let them get too hot as this will make them lose their edge pretty quick but no quicker than a router cutter. Always run a cutter at a speed to make it work and not so fast that it rubs instead of cutting.
I hope this helps.

All the best

John

Hi Toby, I think this represents reasonable value and readily available. The title is a bit confusing I think two of those pieces are allen keys!

link

If you can find a willing oldie they can always get 'em a bit cheaper on a Wednesday.

Regards Tom

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Still not sure which ones I'll go for, but I'll let you know if anyone is remotely interested :)

May well go for a cheap "disposable" set in the first instance as I've not done any table routing before, but will then buy decent cutters as and when I need them.

Thanks

Toby

Having had a cheap bit from a set disintegrate on me before (which was a rather frightening experience), I will always buy quality from now on. I usually buy Wealden, however this morning I needed a 50mm template trim bit and couldn't wait for delivery. I went to my local tool shop and bought a Trend bit at £45! :shock: The equivalent Wealden bit is £25.

Back