Starter set of Router Bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolNik

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
avLooking for some advice here, chaps. I have just purchased my first “large” router, a move up from a 1/4” Colt handheld. As I am disabled, I have found that I cannot hold the smaller router firmly enough to complete even the most basic routing tasks with the Colt so I have decided to move to a full on router set up (Jess em table, lift etc.) and the big Triton. What I am struggling with is the router bits which need to be 1/2”. I do mostly box making, frames for the Kumiko work and some joinery for lamp shares, jig making and basic workshop storage solutions etc. As I do all my shopping on-line, it is not possible to “pop out” to purchase a one-off bit, as required. I would therefore like to buy a set or two, of bits of reasonable quality but don’t know which set(s) would have most or all of the bits I need. Does anyone have recommendations of sets of bits that will met my needs. I don’t mind purchasing too many bits rather than not having the bits when I need them. Thanks chaps

Alternatively, rather than buying many bits at once at a higher overall cost, why not buy the ones you'd actually use but if better quality?

Especially if you employ some guide bushes, you can use just two or three bits for most work, maybe add a bearing guided chamfer bit to begin with and add more bits to your collection as and when you need them (spiral bits, trim cutters, round overs etc)

This way you spread the cost over a long time, buy only what's needed and but good quality stuff (spiral against straight cutters, good quality bearing)

Makes like Wealden, Rennie etc are much better than generic Trend set. I have a trend set and I have only used about half of those bits - I use very few types and I wish I hadn't bought the set now.

Last edited:
All my heavily used cutters are Wealden, but the Trend ones are so cheap per item that if they're not all used it doesn't matter a jot. As the OP said, he hasn't the option of popping out to buy one, and we don't know what we'll use in the near future. I have the 1/4" set as well.

Seriously, start by sitting down and working it out yourself.
Use a trend catalogue or better, the Wealden website, to browse the available cutters and work out what you need.
Asking random other people to recommend cutters or sets when we don't know exactly what you want to do is a recipe for wasted money.
My guess is that 70% of the cutters in cheap sets are never used once. They just sit in a box until thrown or given away - quite often after the owner dies !
Spend £100 on a handful of well chosen cutters from Wealden and you'll be off to a good start and could still be using them in 20 years. It only takes 2-3 days to get a new cutter delivered so not a lot of forward planning needed.

I really don't see the issue. You won't use all the cutters in a set? 1/ You don't know which you won't use unless you can see into the future, and 2/ They're about £2.50 each - does it matter that a few won't be used?
I have several hundred quid's worth of Wealden cutters, but they came after. I still wouldn't be with the sets.

Not saying there is only one way to skin a cat, but after learning my lessons with the things I bought, I am an advocate for buying things we need and will use rather than gather dust on a shelf.

Sure, if you have no other option, by all means get the set, but if there are options, I'd only buy what I'd use, however cheap.

I concur with the suggestion of buying individually from Wealden or a similar more local supplier if the cost of shipping from the UK is unattractive.

That having been said I recently bought this set having acquired an additional smaller router.

https://www.axminstertools.com/bosch-15-piece-router-cutter-set-1-4-107995
I didn’t buy it from Axminster as it was half the price from FFX via eBay. I have used 5 of the cutters from the set so far and they are fine.

What I am struggling with is the router bits which need to be 1/2”. I do mostly box making, frames for the Kumiko work and some joinery for lamp shares, jig making and basic workshop storage solutions etc.
Hello @CoolNik
The tasks you listed do not necessarily sound like they require large cutters. While you are deciding which individual 1/2 cutters you really need, you could continue using existing 1/4 router bits with the big Triton. You only need to acquire the correct 1/4 collet for your Triton.
For the newer TRA, look for the 'Triton TRC140' part online.
If it's an older TRB, generic 1/2 to 1/4 reduction sleeves work fine. I use this one, but for router table use, I would look for a mushroom type, like this.

I have the small sets of approximately a dozen Trend cutters in both 1/4 and 1/2 inch and like @Phil Pascoe, not had any issues with them. - I believe others on this forum have reported problems (mostly with the bearings IIRC). Maybe the newer ones are not as good?
I have added other cutters as necessary. Better quality for heavier use and even some cheapies from online market places/auction sites for one-off jobs.

Precisely. Horses for courses. I bought a set of four 1/4" for £3.99 - I needed one particular size and shape for a total run of one foot. It was fine. I bought a Wealden cutter that's first job out of the box was ninety six metres of full depth cut - it was fine.

Last edited:
I have quite a few Yonico cutters, mainly the larger ones & special use jointing ones. I got most of them from the US, before everything went 'South'. The guys I bought from 'adjusted' prices, thus saving me those nasty rip-off charges. They all perform well, with no complaints from me. Plenty on Ebay.

What I am struggling with is the router bits which need to be 1/2”.
That sounds unlikely. Most big routers allow you fit a 1/4" collet (as well as 6mm & 8mm).
Buying an extra collect isn't a great expense and will allow you to keep using any 1/4" cutters you have.

As others have said, sets are usually a bit of a waste of money. Buying bits because you think you may need them can prove an expensive folly.
Maybe start with a couple of basics that might suit a range of tasks; Straight, bearing guided straight, and a guided 45deg chamfer.
Then buy bits as needed per project. There's usually enough time between planning, prep and putting router to wood to get a particular cutter mailed to you.

That sounds unlikely. Most big routers allow you fit a 1/4" collet (as well as 6mm & 8mm).
Buying an extra collect isn't a great expense and will allow you to keep using any 1/4" cutters you have.
This is good advice.

I have a 1/4", 8mm and 12mm collets for my 1/2" Triton router and the swapping is just as easy as swapping cutters. One doesn't need a 1/2" shank 6mm cutter for routing a 3mm groove in any wood. Their 1/4" cousins do the same by swapping a collect.

The Trend set linked by @Phil Pascoe seems to be quite a good call. These will no doubt be generic cutters made in the Far East, but if Trend are prepared to stake their reputation by selling them, then they are likely to be basic, but okay. And, at £ 36.95, a real bargain, even if some of the cutters remain unused. One can easily spend that, and more, on a single, decent cutter that could well remain unused after being bought for a specific job. A lot of my router bits certainly belong in this category.

I bought my second set 18 months or so ago - £24 something. I would have spent more that getting half a dozen of the first set sharpened. I'm not going to lose any sleep over a few £2 - £3 cutters remaining unused.
(I don't think Trend have much of a reputation to stake any more. :) )

Back