what oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayben

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought some oak tables(Coffee) and the label inside the packing advises oiling the tables could anyone tell what oil I should use (one that doesn't leave a smell).
Ray

They all smell, at least when first applied.

Some of them smell nice, although personal preferences vary.

BugBear

Any oils that have no smell at all you wouldn't want to use as they'd be the wrong type of oil to use in finishing.

Oils of the right type, all of them AFAIK, have some odour as BB says above. It's not particularly strong and it does go away in time, and I don't think it's objectionable but some people are very particular about this sort of thing. Take the classic scent of linseed oil which many remember from their youth (maybe from cricket bats or window putty), lots of people love it and sort of can't understand how anyone wouldn't love it too, but it makes some people gag so there you go!

Ikea sell a plain mineral oil which doesn't have much smell at all. I can't remember its special name but it will be near the chopping boards. It's not especially durable though. Probably the same as liquid paraffin, as sold in the chemist's as a laxative.

More protective oils, such as Tung Oil, will have more aroma, but as said by Ed, the smell soon disappears.

Do you want a high gloss finish, or a semi-gloss. I use Tru-Oil, which is rather expensive, but a 3oz bottle goes a long way. It gives a hard finish and the more coats you use, the higher the gloss would be. Sand with a high grit between coats but give sufficient time for coats to dry. I also use a sanding sealer after sanding and before using the oil.
Malcolm

No expert here but just used Osmo PolyX a floor finish. Was expecting to be high as a kite after doing 3 coats with the window shut to stop dust on my floor but actually it's fine. There's a smell of course but it's not pervasive or unpleasant. Forgiving stuff too if you follow the instructions. Apply thinly. They do a test pot fairly cheap. The filler(if you need one) is water based and very easy to use and can be colour matched using dyes. It's tough stuff according to the website and as would be expected for a floor finish.
They do a variety of finishes from high gloss to 'bare'. http://www.osmouk.com/sitechapter.cfm?c ... 7#PolyxOil
I'm not singing it's praises above other finishes, I'm a finishing novice, but I did my research (for my floor at least) and Osmo comes out well by people for furniture as well as floors etc. Applied mine with cotton rag balls rather than a brush, (an old clean cotton shirt with more rags stuffed inside it or you can buy it at mad prices :) ). You can really get a thin finish that way. I'd steer clear of brushes personally. Watch your drying times.
First to admit I'm very very far from an expert but it is a nice product when applied with care and a little attention. It's very forgiving. Have a look on you tube and so on. Good luck.
Regards
Chris

Back