What kind of tool...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you could do - you could aslo use a skew, or a 3/8 parting and beading tool (my preference, particularly for a newbie would be the latter)

920-7510.gif

or it could be done off lathe with a router in a jig

incidentally you can put the pic on directly by using the whole url, including the .jpg bit inside img tags - hit quote on this post to see how

4563262100_8be1ae9df2.jpg

Ashley Iles make a set of beading tools which are extremely easy to use and get good results. It just scrapes the wood to match the profile.

Thanks for the input, I'll try with the tools I have first (skew/spindle gouge) and see how that turns out....
I generally do like to buy new tools, but I'm on a tight budget at the moment :-/

fwiw I dont think you would get the gentle profile of the bead on the bench with a standard beading tool...the ones I have seen leave a hard raised semi-circle. you're better off mastering it with a skew / spindle...although it took me a while to get the knack and I had (and still have) a number of dig ins in the process its worth keeping at...

there some videos on you tube showing the principle...I would find one but im on the train with a sloooooowww internet! :)

Take a deep breath, relax & take another practice go.
That advice is for when it turns out a tad off. :wink:

With the shallow and soft curves of that piece a small finger nail gouge or small bowl gouge may be better utilised, depending on the overall diameter of the piece one of the available 'miniature turning' tools may be more appropriate. However, use the tool you feel more comfortable with as this will promote a better finish.
Rob.

Anyone know how the similar pattern in the centre of the "wheels" of wheelback chairs were made? I'd always assumed they must have used something like the router cutters shown above, but maybe the whole splat was mounted on a lathe?

I would not attempt to use a skew on face work like that other than lying on its side and used in scraper mode, a detail gouge or 3/8 spindle gouge sharpened with an exaggerated point, both used on edge and rolled like a short point skew on edge is far less likely to catch.
Will try and post picture of my extreme version asap.

Btw, the diameter of that 'ball' is ca. 10cm.
And yes, I'm in the process of building that bench :)
(The wood is oak).

Tried to do a test turning with my spindle gouge, but it was difficult to get in between the circles.
Maybe I should try a regrind with a narrower point...

A better picture here perhaps:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffivens/2555356314/sizes/l/

Couldn't find how to get the picture in the post....

Not very good action shops I'm afraid, rather difficult to hold the working tool and press the camera button.

If you look at the bevel edges you can see that they are well clear of the surface due to the tight curvature of the grind and allow more error in tool rotation before risking a catch.

DSCN1704.JPG

DSCN1705.JPG

DSCN1706.JPG

DSCN1707.JPG

DSCN1708.JPG

DSCN1707crop.JPG

Back