What is the size of this bearing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niall Y

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that someone out there, can lighten up my darkness :giggle: I've just taken two bearings from my lathe, so that I can replace them. They are tapered roller bearings by Timken, but I can't quite get my head around what size they are meant to be. Metric comes out at O/D 50.3. I/D 26.83, Width 14.75. This equates to O/D 1.9831" I/D 1.0578" Width 0.5807" in decimal inches. So, from this am I to assume that the size is, in fact, imperial? I need to know this especially if I have to buy an equivalent rather than from the same manufacturer.
Another query is on the numbering. I can just about make out the number for the bearing L44647, the outer section seems to have a different number L44610. Can I assume from this, that the inner bearings can be matched to outer parts, with different sized O/D's?

just google the part number. Lots of availability.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/a....php?search_in_description=1&keywords=L44647&
IMG_1469.png

As @deema says, Google is your friend.
By tapping in the manufacturer and the bearing number, you
can easily cross reference with other manufacturers.

Thanks for the replies folks, your input is much appreciated............ I think that tracking these down might prove a lot more difficult than I thought. I look to have read the identification codes correctly. And I've been able to confirm that the outer part ( L 44610 ) is available. I've also been able to check its true size, at 50.292"
The bit that is causing difficulty , is the inner section L44647. Even looking at Timken's catalogue, I've not been able to find it. Mind you, with a catalogue that size, it was a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. :)
Google has proved , yet again, that you can be holding something in your hand and still not be able to find it online , I've left a message with a main Timken dealer to try and see if they can come up with the goods. I'm hoping that this specific size hasn't been discontinued, which would throw up a whole host of other problems:unsure:

Ah, Yes......... I appear to have scrambled my brain ploughing through Timken's catalogue.:)

I suspect you’ve not read the number correctly. I know, I’ve sometimes found the stamping to be very hard to interpret. Have a look in the manual, sometimes they give the bearing numbers, and if not, and the machine is still manufactured put a query into them.

I suspect you’ve not read the number correctly. I know, I’ve sometimes found the stamping to be very hard to interpret. Have a look in the manual, sometimes they give the bearing numbers, and if not, and the machine is still manufactured put a query into them.
I think you might well be right, the number is a challenge to read and the final decision was based on a multi-person, consensus. :) I will pop out to workshop and check the size of the lathe shaft................ Bingo! it all tallies with the L 44649. and I've just ordered a pair. Many thanks, Deema

Latest posts

Back