What is the size of this bearing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niall Y

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that someone out there, can lighten up my darkness :giggle: I've just taken two bearings from my lathe, so that I can replace them. They are tapered roller bearings by Timken, but I can't quite get my head around what size they are meant to be. Metric comes out at O/D 50.3. I/D 26.83, Width 14.75. This equates to O/D 1.9831" I/D 1.0578" Width 0.5807" in decimal inches. So, from this am I to assume that the size is, in fact, imperial? I need to know this especially if I have to buy an equivalent rather than from the same manufacturer.
Another query is on the numbering. I can just about make out the number for the bearing L44647, the outer section seems to have a different number L44610. Can I assume from this, that the inner bearings can be matched to outer parts, with different sized O/D's?

just google the part number. Lots of availability.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/a....php?search_in_description=1&keywords=L44647&
IMG_1469.png

Thanks for the replies folks, your input is much appreciated............ I think that tracking these down might prove a lot more difficult than I thought. I look to have read the identification codes correctly. And I've been able to confirm that the outer part ( L 44610 ) is available. I've also been able to check its true size, at 50.292"
The bit that is causing difficulty , is the inner section L44647. Even looking at Timken's catalogue, I've not been able to find it. Mind you, with a catalogue that size, it was a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. :)
Google has proved , yet again, that you can be holding something in your hand and still not be able to find it online , I've left a message with a main Timken dealer to try and see if they can come up with the goods. I'm hoping that this specific size hasn't been discontinued, which would throw up a whole host of other problems:unsure:

Ah, Yes......... I appear to have scrambled my brain ploughing through Timken's catalogue.:)

I suspect you’ve not read the number correctly. I know, I’ve sometimes found the stamping to be very hard to interpret. Have a look in the manual, sometimes they give the bearing numbers, and if not, and the machine is still manufactured put a query into them.

I suspect you’ve not read the number correctly. I know, I’ve sometimes found the stamping to be very hard to interpret. Have a look in the manual, sometimes they give the bearing numbers, and if not, and the machine is still manufactured put a query into them.
I think you might well be right, the number is a challenge to read and the final decision was based on a multi-person, consensus. :) I will pop out to workshop and check the size of the lathe shaft................ Bingo! it all tallies with the L 44649. and I've just ordered a pair. Many thanks, Deema

Back