Trying to find/workout sizing for steel box section/tube!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeless Squirrel

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for a length of square tube but drawing a blank/hurting my head banging the wall!!!

Tube has around an outer size of 21.50 'ish varying each side verniers on! it has to fit into a top and bottom which mic out at around 21.97.
Did a shed load of ringing around today and original makers don't make item anymore and sold all off to another company but hes sort of saying Imperial sizing but size gave is way too big converts to 25mm. and think it was/is 5/6th i got it down to?

Trying to lengthen handle on my trolley while modding it as captive riv type nut/fixing turns now instead of holding so bolt tightens down on to shaft so have to weld a nut on it.

More detail - drawings or pictures for context would help. There's always a way to fix or repair something and its likely that someone on here will have a good idea of how to do it. Might be a case of machining down the closest metric size tubing? Is it heavy wall or thin?

Looking for a length of square tube but drawing a blank/hurting my head banging the wall!!!

Tube has around an outer size of 21.50 'ish varying each side verniers on! it has to fit into a top and bottom which mic out at around 21.97.
Did a shed load of ringing around today and original makers don't make item anymore and sold all off to another company but hes sort of saying Imperial sizing but size gave is way too big converts to 25mm. and think it was/is 5/6th i got it down to?

Trying to lengthen handle on my trolley while modding it as captive riv type nut/fixing turns now instead of holding so bolt tightens down on to shaft so have to weld a nut on it.
5/6th is not a 'standard' that I've ever come across. If the original is 'Imperial' I suspect that it will be a nominal 7/8" which is 22.225mm. There are imperial measures which are closer to 21.5 or 21.97 mm - 27/32" = 0.84375 (21.43125mm), 55/64" = 0.859375 (21.828125mm) but not considered 'standard' as far as tube manufacture is concerned.

Very much doubt they would have used some weird size purpose made tube, so it's likely to be a common size. Have you tried e bay? Some suppliers on there who do both metric and imperial sizes. I too thought 7/8 for 22mm. The size of the outer is going to depend on how thick the wall is. Alternatively, and probably cheaper, would be to just convert to metric and get 20mm OD for example, together with a suitable size outer depending on how thick you want it, depends how easy that would be to do I suppose.

27/32" = 0.84375 (21.43125mm), 55/64" = 0.859375 (21.828125mm)

Could you comment please on the thinking behind expressing inches to six decimal places in this context, let alone millimetres.

Could you comment please on the thinking behind expressing inches to six decimal places in this context, let alone millimetres.
If you don't aim for perfection you will never achieve it !

Since I trained as a toolmaker and at one time HAD to measure slip gauges and express the deviance from the nominal size in millionths of an inch I have retained this habit.

5/6th is not a 'standard' that I've ever come across. If the original is 'Imperial' I suspect that it will be a nominal 7/8" which is 22.225mm. There are imperial measures which are closer to 21.5 or 21.97 mm - 27/32" = 0.84375 (21.43125mm), 55/64" = 0.859375 (21.828125mm) but not considered 'standard' as far as tube manufacture is concerned.
Hi yes this is the issue i'm finding.
I'm sure my Mitutoyo Digimatic is loosing it? Been fiddling/twiddling and locked vernier to 22.22 and "just" slots inside top part so think going with that and be done with it!.
But this piece of box tube that slots into base and top part/handle is measuring 21.5-7 ish as been in use for many years so a tad battered and warped/twisted as you have two captive bolts that tighten to keep in place at desired height and vernier locked at 22.22 is a bit loose running over it in various places that look "Square" still.

I know some of the sizes in imperial are no longer made or Special Order as rang place that used to make them and they said had to buy lot's!

But if go with 22.22 with decent wall thickness i can skim/lap it down with belt sander etc.

Many thanks

Very much doubt they would have used some weird size purpose made tube, so it's likely to be a common size. Have you tried e bay? Some suppliers on there who do both metric and imperial sizes. I too thought 7/8 for 22mm. The size of the outer is going to depend on how thick the wall is. Alternatively, and probably cheaper, would be to just convert to metric and get 20mm OD for example, together with a suitable size outer depending on how thick you want it, depends how easy that would be to do I suppose.
Did think about cutting shaft in half sourcing a piece that internal is around right size plus clean it up maybe then get in from each end and weld up?
But have to be mindful that creates a high stress area/pinch point under load.
trouble with smaller tube is A trying to tighten bolt/thumb screw to keep tight. B deform outer box frame of base which will then fail as it's ok if kept in square/shape but if deforms apart from splitting over time can make other sections crack welding etc.
It's one of those things where a lot is put on a smaller area

Will try and put some pics up later when back.
Minds not fully on this but trying to do/make things to keep mind off where my car got stolen last week and he tried to run me over etc as dragged on to a transit pick up truck he got my foot luckily just caught side as got legs out of way plods dealing with as Aggravated Robbery.

Well 22.22mm is a tad to big!
But with a generous "Stroking Over" with 5" angle grinder with flap wheels and flat pad one ends in handle part just need to tweak other end

Will try and put some pics up later when back.
Minds not fully on this but trying to do/make things to keep mind off where my car got stolen last week and he tried to run me over etc as dragged on to a transit pick up truck he got my foot luckily just caught side as got legs out of way plods dealing with as Aggravated Robbery.
Hope they catch the scum....

Hope they catch the scum....
Picked it up on ULEZ camera as TFL tried to charge me even when not on the road (Which is something many need to be aware of with this dictator/TFL and .Gov esp with plans for road charging)Perps Truck needs to pay it also if not hookey plates? So forwarded details to officer dealing with it plus she's got my call to 999 where i gave number mind one talking call was most likely to busy playing Candicrush and updating tiktok profile to be bothered?.
As no one came/called or anything and if had would have caught them down the road.
No wonder crimes on over time!.
Have witnesses to it and CCTV plus his ramps fell out on to road as raced away yet plod didn't want to pick up/print them.
Have an officer that's assigned to it and going to make a statement this week but seem to have to remind them how to do there dam job!.

Still trolleys sorted out now! "Small Mercies"

Back