What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What did I do in my workshop today? I'll tell you what I did. There I was, just about to attempt an ambitious oval, off-centre platter. All mounted on a faceplate nice and snug, with the headstock at 45 degrees as it wouldn't fit over the lathe bed. Got it spinning at low speed when...

My right leg gave way. Not the lathe's leg. No. My leg. it does it quite often as a result of damage to my lower back. Normally I stumble, sometimes I catch myself, sometimes I fall.

Today I fell. As I fell my arm was caught by the wobbling hunk of wood. Oh, by 'eck that hurt! Anyway. I've been patched up by a really lovely nurse at my local A&E, who kept apologising for hurting me as she cleaned out the wound before expertly making a good repair. The biggest problem? The quote that I have tattooed on my arm will now be interrupted by a 11cm long scar. pipper.

unlucky Penny, sorry to hear that. Hope the fact you've got a biffchit doesn't get in the way doing some other woody stuff in the shed

Sawdust=manglitter":2rli4wba said:
El Barto":2rli4wba said:
Love the finish you've achieved. Top job. Is there anything out there similar to Black Bison but more eco-friendly?

Thanks El Barto. When you say more eco-friendly what do you mean about the black bison? I did look before for ingredients to see if there were any animal products in it - as the OH is veggie :x

Did you think she was likely to eat your furniture? :shock:

phil.p":7vsux66r said:

Well she has said a couple of times 'that looks good enough to eat' :p

She's pretty strict with what she considers 'animal cruelty', so no shellac, no bees wax, deffo no hide glue, etc

NazNomad":3luf95f5 said:
Messed about getting this downdraft table up & running.

100_9128.jpg

100_9129.jpg

Place it upside-down on a table and connected the extractor... Picked the table up off the floor. :-D

Guess it's reasonably airtight then?

I would like something like that when hand routing
but I guess would need pretty large holes to cope with that
I just hate having a hose on router

Steve

Sawdust=manglitter":1jkprlll said:
phil.p":1jkprlll said:

Well she has said a couple of times 'that looks good enough to eat' :p

She's pretty strict with what she considers 'animal cruelty', so no shellac, no bees wax, deffo no hide glue, etc

I can understand the other stuff but why no beeswax?

This morning i have been mostly sawing off the end of my thumb on the bandsaw. Ouch!

It's more of a rip cut than a cross cut and has taken a bit of nail with it too, resulting in a wound about the size of a 5p piece on the top end of my thumb. Went to my first aid box and it wasn't here. I then realised we had taken it in the car on our tour of Scotland last month and there it remains. The other half is at work in said car. Managed to find a couple of decent sized plasters and some of that spray on plaster stuff. If i thought it was painful when i did it, nothing could prepare me for the sting of spraying that stuff on. Having a big order to fulfill and being behind, i've had to carry on and have now gone all tentative and wary on the bandsaw, resulting in some poor cuts and the wound is still bleeding a bit, meaning most of the stuff i am cutting has blood on it. First time i've been bitten by a bandsaw in over 40 years of using one and just goes to show that however experienced you are around machinery, one lapse for a split second and they are not very forgiving.

phil.p":snu33pv9 said:
If you need to keep your cut (or your work) clean, get a pair of throw away gloves, cut the thumbs off, roll one on and tape around the bottom - it leaves the rest of the hand free.

That's a cracking tip phil.

cotton wool savlon and bodge tapes always worked for me

phil.p":3q1nxn0d said:
If you need to keep your cut (or your work) clean, get a pair of throw away gloves, cut the thumbs off, roll one on and tape around the bottom - it leaves the rest of the hand free.

Great idea! Will it work on my forearm...? :lol: :oops:

Savlon and cotton wool is in my first aid kit, currently in the car at t'other half's workplace. Plasters and masking tape are keeping me going until she gets home.

Got a bit done on the van today.

Firstly I got the bench built which is also going to double up as my daughter's bed (she's 18 months so it's plenty of room (and she can put up with it 'til she's 18)). :twisted: I'm hoping to make up some sort of cot bars that will slide up when she goes to bed so she doesn't roll out. We'll see tho, need to give it a bit more thought.

u2wee7x.jpg

Then I decided to get some electrical stuff fitted so I wired up the lights and the rear USB ports. I was happy with how the lights looked until I tested them with a battery to make sure they worked. They were described as "cool white light" but actually it's more like "ugly blueish light". So they may have to go but they'll do for now.

TzhsHb7.jpg

I also got the partition in that separates the cab from the living area. That was REALLY boring, cutting it to the awkward size/shape of the van and then carpeting it too.

Next up is the kitchen cabinets which will house the leisure battery and other electrics as well as the sink and pump etc.

This isn't really the kind of woodwork I'd like to be doing at the moment but it's fun nonetheless and good sawing practice at least.

For any cut or bleeding wound use CA glue, its the standard Army field dressing, instant stop to bleeding, but I have never used it on a big wound, so don't know of any lasting problems, small cuts no problem.

Mike

I've used superglue in the past but it wouldn't have helped me today. I sliced off a chunk of skin and nail that is probably now nestling inside my bandsaw somewhere. It's been cleaned and dressed now and hopefully it will heal sufficiently over the weekend to allow me to work on Monday. You don't realise how much you use your thumbs until you can't use one of them. It's on the top and end of the thumb and hurts like hell if any pressure is put on it. It could have been a lot worse though if the blade had met my thumb further down and taken off a bigger chunk and will be a timely reminder to be more careful in the future, especially working alone in my workshop as i do.

I know exactly what you mean, I have Arthritis in both thumbs/hands, both thumbs have been operated on twice to relive the pain, the Cortisone injections work, but only for a limited time, I still have difficulty picking up a fork to eat, then its back to the old stand by Claret, by the time I have finished the bottle I don't care anymore. :wink:

Mike

I also find claret a good cure for almost anything, including my own arthritis. You're right about the fork too. Was strange eating tonight without using my thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back