What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mike, spot on with the carving tools.
My problem with carving is not getting off my backside and doing any. Hopefully this may spur me on,
and it kept me out of mischief while I made it.
First tests, with Autosol, do show that a good mirror finish is possible.
Sadly the machine, without feet, slides with the least pressure applied. I am lookng for good non-slip feet,
but am likely to end up with a 'hook' arrangement to catch the front edge of the bench.

I will try and take some before and after photos as I do more testing.

xy

Got some Irwin quick release clamps a couple of weeks ago, and liked them so much that I got a set of 8x 150mm and 8 x 300mm. One can really do glue-ups with only two hands. So I thought they deserved a proper rack.

clamp rack - 1.jpg

Standard 18 mm ply, screwed to a horizontal beam in the workshop. Drilled 5.5mm holes to come just at the edge of the beam, bandsaw cut into each side of the hole to make the slots, screwed/glued a long strip shaped roughly to the recess at the head of the clamps. This stops me knocking them off onto the floor as I squeeze past the end of the bench to get round the other side. The depth of the beam holds the bars of the clamps nicely vertical. A well-spent hour.

Keith

Attachments

• clamp rack - 1.jpg
    clamp rack - 1.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 137
They are in the tin on the shelf to the right. The dog knows!

#-o yes my one is, I wonder if earlier models where different, straw clutched.

Mike

Made a MDF frame with a stop to go across my belt sander when mounted on the bench on its back. The idea being to have pieces pushed into the stop rather than having the belt catch the odd edge and fire projectiles across the shed. All went well until I switched the sander on and realised I'd made the stop for the wrong end (homer). I thought I was going grey... but it looks more like blonde after this #-o

Making mistakes. Made another box sale today, but when starting to pack it up, broke it beyond repair. Had to quickly e-mail the buyer and say sorry, but he came back and bought another one more expensive. That makes 7 this month due to a discounted month, but need to get forward a week and then put the prices back up.

Not sure if I'm pleased or not, the supply is getting low and the weather is getting colder, so I don't really want to be spending too much time in the cold to replenish stocks to sell just yet......Sod's Law!

Malcolm

Finished off my shoe storage rack. Made with Oak with inlays in the top:
DSC_0077a.jpg

DSC_0079a.jpg

DSC_0087a.jpg

DSC_0088a.jpg

DSC_0091aa.jpg

DSC_0092a.jpg

DSC_0093a.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0077a.jpg
    DSC_0077a.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0079a.jpg
    DSC_0079a.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0087a.jpg
    DSC_0087a.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0088a.jpg
    DSC_0088a.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0091aa.jpg
    DSC_0091aa.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0092a.jpg
    DSC_0092a.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0093a.jpg
    DSC_0093a.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 245
retofitted all my cheap clamps with wood, using 2x1 pine (cut to size), now they really feel quite solid:

Attachments

• clamps-retrofit-1.jpg
    clamps-retrofit-1.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 185
thetyreman":3m5m05fs said:
retofitted all my cheap clamps with wood, using 2x1 pine (cut to size), now they really feel quite solid:
Nice - I did the same. I also modified the screw component. I found that if I tightened them up, they would shear off the silver screw that fits into the Grove at the end of the clamp head screw.

What I did was undo it all, pop a small nut loose in the receiving hole of the clamp head and then do it back up again. The loose nut closes the gap, so the clamping pressure isn't all put on the silver screw.

thetyreman":299qaep6 said:

That's a good idea, I have loads of cheap clamps, did not think of that.

I know what I will be doing soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back