What colour/Paint for external front door?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always think blues and greens work well for doors. Feels quite traditional to me. As for type of paint any exterior gloss or satin is going to be just fine.
I'm just about to get onto this. Going for dulux Heathfield green weathershield satin. I'll sand old paint off first, but do you think I'll need an undercoat or should it be ok with a few coats of the paint?

I'm just about to get onto this. Going for dulux Heathfield green weathershield satin. I'll sand old paint off first, but do you think I'll need an undercoat or should it be ok with a few coats of the paint?
My advice - - - ALWAYS undercoat - appropriate for the colour of the top-coat - TWICE. Top-coat is 'cosmetic' and only ever needs one application.

Aeons ago I was advised by pro painter in the US that if the surface is already painted with a strong colour, to undercoat first with a medium to light grey; as this effectively blocks any tendency of that strong coloured to in effect bleed through (show through as it it were) if the intended colour(s) are on the light sider. More applicable usually to indoor redecoration but equally applies to exterior.

Also if wanting a really smooth finish when using gloss, sand down with a light/fine grit between all primer/undercoats coats, or in some situations a fine wet ‘n dry; and don’t forget to go over with a sticky rag after vacuuming the surface(s) and surrounding areas each time. Equally for so satin/matt finishes too. Same applies if using gloss urethane “varnishes” etc. finishes.

Nothing will irritate more if there are nits and bumps on a nicely gloss painted and highly visible surface; especially a front door.

Aeons ago I was advised by pro painter in the US that if the surface is already painted with a strong colour, to undercoat first with a medium to light grey; as this effectively blocks any tendency of that strong coloured to in effect bleed through (show through as it it were) if the intended colour(s) are on the light sider. More applicable usually to indoor redecoration but equally applies to exterior.

Also if wanting a really smooth finish when using gloss, sand down with a light/fine grit between all primer/undercoats coats, or in some situations a fine wet ‘n dry; and don’t forget to go over with a sticky rag after vacuuming the surface(s) and surrounding areas each time. Equally for so satin/matt finishes too. Same applies if using gloss urethane “varnishes” etc. finishes.

Nothing will irritate more if there are nits and bumps on a nicely gloss painted and highly visible surface; especially a front door.
Excellent advice, thankyou. I was a bit as stuck on the undercoat bit too so this is a massive help. I had read about grey being a good undercoat for the green I'm using. What about clear varnish after the final coat of green is on, or is that not necessary?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230707_102256.jpg
    Screenshot_20230707_102256.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 0
I’d just stick with good quality high gloss paint and not overcoat that with a varnish. As previous, prepare the surface well, properly, sand lightly between coats etc., and apply gloss when you’re satisfied your pre gloss work is satisfactory. Buy a few professional standard paint brushes, rather than replying on the usual cheaper DIY stuff. If you compare the pro brush against the DIY you’ll see the pro brushes are longer, thicker; treat them properly and they’ll serve, last a long time.

Back