What can i do please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a problem, if there any techies around.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 weeks ago I put some cash into a new bank account (building society) and on the application form they requested my email address. They replied to me with a welcome to my email address, and ever since I have had an unknown correspondent appearing everyday on my mails. I have deleted the correspondents (a different name everyday) without opening this mail.
I closed down the account the day after the welcome from the bank because I think there is still a risk on any online type of banking.

My server will not stop these mails coming in or discuss what the content is on these mails.

WHAT CAN I DO PLEASE?

DW: it's a swine, I'm afraid, once you've been 'found' by spammers Here's a link to a highly regarded (free) filtering programme:

http://spamassassin.apache.org/ It does mean you have to install it, and check that it's not rejecting legitimate mail, but it's a sensible solution at a very sensible price...

That said, it's a rule based system. If you want to spend a little more time and effort, this next one is a 'bayesian' based equivalent - that means it has to be 'trained' by you, but will eventually have a very good spam rejection rate - it's one of the best solutions out there, if you are willing to work with it initially...

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=61201

HTH...

Go and register devonwoody.org.uk (or similar) and host it with someone who will forward all email @devonwoody.org.uk to your actual email address.

Whenever you are asked for your email address, use something like eg [email protected]

If you start getting spam to one of the addresses like that you've given out, it's immediately obvious where they got the address from.

Alternatively, you could encode the addresses as random strings of characters, and make a note of which address corresponds to which organisation.

I prefer the former method though - makes it very much easier to show that you wouldn't be using the address for anything other than communication with the named organisation...

Jim

I recommend a program called Mailwasher that allows you to examine mail on the server before downloading it. Also it flags spam and suspicious mail for easy deleting.

Thanks for above info.
just returned from our Europe holiday and seen advice, (we are going to need it, over 20 unidentified mail correspondents have come in whilst away)

Roger, the mail started coming in the day after I gave the Coventry Building Society my email address, So they are my main suspects for this source of suspicious mail which I assume someone has hacked into.

My son of 12 yearsof age now gets mail from UK banks offering him a Platinum Card and others offer him a loan of £25000.

My wife confronted on bank and they stated they geet all the "potential customers" from Experion here in the UK. Shame on them!

I joke that he should apply for the cards and enjoy spending! Actually Iwonder what the banks would do in that case. Probably write it of no doubt?

I just cannot believe the "professional" spam from these companies.

Disgusting :x

Latest posts

Back