What are the most beautiful tools that you own

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My most ‘elegant’ tool is this little hammer, which I found in a skip nearly fifty years ago now. It was old then and undoubtably would be listed as a certain pattern type in old catalogues, but sadly it has no maker’s name. I don’t know if the shaft is original or user made, but its balance and fit couldn’t be improved on, as is the near perfectly proportioned head. It is the finest tool I will ever possess.
P1060197.JPG

Actually, I should apologise for those tools. It feels too much like show-and-tell now. (I agree that the hand tools forum is too slow, which is why I responded).

If my workshop burned down, I would save this hand plane before all else ...

It was owned by Jim Krenov. Those are his shavings.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Derek, your tools are stunning. I am admittedly jealous but you should not bury excellence.

These are my three bestest tools. The two carving chisels are from the Philippines they sit beautifully in the hand and a real pleasure to use. I use them mostly when restoring tribal artefacts. The third tool is probably my most useful and most cherished. It is a cut down bone handled dining knife I made when in my first week as an apprentice,(41 years ago) I use it for opening tins, mixing fillers, cleaning into the corners of bookcase panes of glass, all sorts of other uses and most importantly cleaning under my nails!

Attachments

• IMG_2957.JPG
    IMG_2957.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2959.JPG
    IMG_2959.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2968.JPG
    IMG_2968.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Just some basic tools but they all are a joy to use and look nice. Probably nothing special when they were made yet somehow most modern equivalents don't have the same feel. The hammer was from a cabinet makers that closed in the late 1970s and had the string binding on when I got it, don't know if it was a repair or just added as a precaution, so left it on.

DSCF8598.JPG

Here are some tools I made:

Bridle Plough Plane (modelled after a Matheson) ..

111.jpg

110.jpg

Cutting gauge ...

5a.jpg

Mortice gauge ..

1-zpsgyw8ijei.jpg

Small brace ...

DA248-DBA-C4-C6-4-FD8-B370-58219-DE84-F7-B.jpg

Brace1.jpg

A couple of travishers ...

5a.jpg

Router plane (uses Veritas blades) ...

11-zps9c5dbd33.jpg

Saws:

Joinery-Saw.jpg

Thin plate dovetail saw ...

5.jpg

Restored Miller's Falls #15 1/2 mitrebox along with mitresaw built from scratch ...

mitrebox4.jpg

I make a lot of my tools. Not really valuable other than personal. Lots more if anyone is bored.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Thank you Derek (sincerely)... it is good for me to get a little humility back in my life! :) When I see the works of craftsmen like you, I realize that there is a lot left for me to learn.

I am partial to my Japanese chisels and one handmade dozuki saw.
I also like the quality of my Veritas shoulder plane, a pleasure to use.

Last edited:
I am partial to my Japanese chisels and one handmade dozuki saw.

This is a thread about beautiful tools in one's ownership. Japanese tools have a special place for me - their simple appearance has an elegance I love ... and of course they work so well. These slicks were made for me by by Watanabe Kiyoei, the maker of Kiyohisa chisels (taken about 18 or so years ago, shortly after I received them) ...

The box is amazing for its tolerances: place the lid in position, and it drops slowly on a cushion of air.

A few years ago I built a cabinet under my bench, into which many of my prized and most-used tools now live (The bench is, of course, another tool) ...

One drawer hold these Kiyohisa slicks in a tray ...

The lower section of the drawer holds a set of Kiyohisa oire nomi. These were collected individually over many years - Kiyohisa chisels are now unobtainable new as Watanabe Kiyoei has been very ill, and before then they had wait lists up to 6 years. To bring the oddments into a collection, I re-handled them all ...

These oire nomi are used with a genno. These are mine ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

This is a thread about beautiful tools in one's ownership. Japanese tools have a special place for me - their simple appearance has an elegance I love ... and of course they work so well. These slicks were made for me by by Watanabe Kiyoei, the maker of Kiyohisa chisels (taken about 18 or so years ago, shortly after I received them) ...

The box is amazing for its tolerances: place the lid in position, and it drops slowly on a cushion of air.

A few years ago I built a cabinet under my bench, into which many of my prized and most-used tools now live (The bench is, of course, another tool) ...

One drawer hold these Kiyohisa slicks in a tray ...

The lower section of the drawer holds a set of Kiyohisa oire nomi. These were collected individually over many years - Kiyohisa chisels are now unobtainable new as Watanabe Kiyoei has been very ill, and before then they had wait lists up to 6 years. To bring the oddments into a collection, I re-handled them all ...

These oire nomi are used with a genno. These are mine ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
Those hammers are gorgeous, and the slicks, and the bench. it`s all glorious. Damn it. Do you need an apprentice?

Ollie

Back