Wet Saturday afternoon..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice figuring Andrew.

How about next time you have a blank with good figuring having a go at making more than one bowl out of it.

All it needs is a piece of a spare board of similar or contrasting wood for the base, see the 3rd row from the bottom here

Just take the parting off of the rings slowly, widening your width of cut a little to avoid snatching the parting tool.

Nice idea - I had seen them on your gallery before,but now I understand how you made them :D

Distinctly cheaper than the Kelton bowlsaver as well :wink:

Andrew

Todays piece :-

Picture030Small.jpg

Picture032Small.jpg

Walnut,210mm diameter,40mm high,oiled.

Andrew

Andrew.
Love the Oak piece.Lovely grain and colour.Same with the Walnut.You must be pleased with them :D :D
Can't wait to start trying different timbers,and finishes myself.
Paul.J.

Thanks Paul - it's all part of the learning experience,trying different timbers and finishes (still got plenty more to try out :D )

Chas and his piece of holly prompted me to go out for an hour or so to try out some of mine :-

Picture035Small.jpg

70mm diameter,55mm high,oiled.
Started out as a piece of branch about three times the length,but by the time I had turned all the splits out of it,that's how much was left.. :lol:
I'll see how well the lid fits tomorrow before I decide how dry the holly really is :wink:

Andrew

Looking good Andrew.
Looks a completely different wood to Chas's,but thats what is so interesting about turning,just how the peice of wood will turn out when finished,and as you have said the challenge of getting something nice out of a piece of wood thats splitting.
Can't wait now to have a bash me-self :D
Paul.J.

The slope is getting shinyer, be careful, it gets steeper all the time. :lol:

I probably wouldn't have slid this far without all the help,advice and encouragement from yourself and Graham.
Fun,though,isn't it :D

And nice to see quite a few more people stepping on it.. :wink:

Andrew

This afternoons piece :-

Picture061Small.jpg

Picture062Small.jpg

Padauk (or "red death",as Chas so accurately calls it :lol: )
170mm diameter,70mm high,oiled.

For those who have never turned padauk,it produces copious amounts of red sticky dust that gets everywhere :( - dust masks are essential! (as is a shower and a change of clothes when you've finished..)

Andrew

Padauk... luv it! Red death it may be but it smells great...

More good work Andrew, simple shapes that let the wood speak for itself... more!!!!

(please :wink: )

Andrew.
Looks like you had a good weekend turning. :)
Love the colour and shape,but i think i will avoid this timber. :roll:
Paul.J.

This morning,made something I've been asked to make (for a mate who supplies me with timber :D ) - wanted a big fruit bowl to match their modern kitchen with oak units,so went for simple clean lines in a big bit of oak :-

Picture073Small.jpg

Picture074Small.jpg

Oak,330 mm diameter,40mm high,finished in foodsafe oil.

Andrew

Nice piece of Oak Andrew. :)
I think i'll sort some of the Oak out that i've got and have a bash.Was saving it for something else but.........
Paul.J.

I'm betting the bloke was well pleased with that... luvly piece of Oak brought to life :wink:

Latest posts

Back