Wet Saturday afternoon..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andrew... good finish on the midweek bowl!

Just a suggestion... where compound curves meet have you thought of adding a small 'v' groove to mark the transition? One or two simple lines burned in with fine wire can also emphasise a feature curvy bit...

It's good to see that Chas is finally getting some competition :lol: :lol: :deer

oldsoke":ksk3c92l said:
Just a suggestion... where compound curves meet have you thought of adding a small 'v' groove to mark the transition? One or two simple lines burned in with fine wire can also emphasise a feature curvy bit...

Again,thanks for the advice - I am still playing around with shapes and forms,but liked the article in this months "woodturning" on decoration,so may well try it out

oldsoke":ksk3c92l said:
It's good to see that Chas is finally getting some competition :lol: :lol: :deer

Well..err..actually I see him more as inspiration,rather than competition.In the way that a forum is only as good as its members,then Chas has kept this section interesting,and helped convince me that if he can produce that many quality items,then I can at least try. :D

CHJ":ksk3c92l said:
Moving on Andrew, are you finding the differing wood types/textures are helping you understand tool presentation, they certainly helped me come to terms quicker I feel, rather than just staying with the easy/same option.

Oh very much so - they are all different,and need to be treated as such.The she-oak finished beautifully with a scraper,but was a bit wooly with the gouge.Have just bought Mark Bakers new book "Wood for woodturners" and am enjoying reading advice written from practical experience.
Also bought "Woodturning tips and techniques" by Carol Rix - very informative on tool sharpening,use,and presentation.

Every piece is an enjoyable learning experience :D

Andrew

More of a frosty morning than a wet afternoon,but made this:-

Picture171Small.jpg

Picture173Small.jpg

Oak,170mm diameter,70mm high,finished in oil.

Andrew

Carrying on the weekend "curves" theme,made this for a workmates four-month-old daughter

Picture184Small.jpg

Sapele,50mm diameter,130mm long,just finished with a couple of coats of sanding sealer (EN471,safe for toys :D )
And yes,it does rattle..

Andrew

This mornings piece
Picture194Small.jpg

Picture193Small.jpg

Footed bowl in zebrano - 200mm diameter,45mm overall height,waxed.

Andrew

Some lovely pieces Andrew . I must find somewhere local to get some more blanks , at least then i could try and keep up with you :lol:

some realy good stuff there Powertool, been doing this long???ive just got my lathe and am useing wet wood at the mo, but im getting lots of inspiration from you chaps ,keep it up

JFC":2v32aktr said:
Some lovely pieces Andrew . I must find somewhere local to get some more blanks , at least then i could try and keep up with you :lol:

Be serious :shock: - I could never keep up with the Legacy... :wink:

Andrew

Great stuff Andrew. I particularly like the zebrano footed bowl both the wood and the design. I think I know what family and friends will be getting in the way of pressies for a while :wink:

Merry Christmas,

Steve

This mornings piece :-

Picture196Small.jpg

Picture197Small.jpg

Elm,95mm diameter,45mm high - lid is sapele;both waxed.

This was my second attempt at something resembling a hollowform - I hollowed through the bottom of the first one.. :oops:

Andrew

Fantastic pieces. I'm thinking of starting truning this year but I know my 'learning' pieces would look nothing like those. Well done.

Rob_H":cgewixaz said:
Fantastic pieces. I'm thinking of starting truning this year but I know my 'learning' pieces would look nothing like those. Well done.

Thanks - but these are all still "learning pieces";each one is an experiment in shape,form,finish,tool control,and a desire to try out as many different timbers as I can - so go for it!
Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings,Rob :D

Todays learning piece :-
Picture200Small.jpg

Picture199Small.jpg

Imbuya,140mm diameter,70mm high,oiled.

Things I learnt - imbuya gives off long curly shavings and nasty brown dust in about equal proprtions :(

Andrew

Ok Andrew, Confirmed you've got the bug, give you another few months and you will be looking for more economical wood supplies.

DSC01887%20(Small).JPG

Try looking for second quality slabs, often come across them being offloaded as no good for cabinet makers but they can yield good turning material, the defects often giving more character to a turning.

Thanks for the tip - do you get seconds from timber merchants/yards,or direct from sawmills ?
My garage has several pieces of assorted trees drying out,some of which should be ok for next year (cherry,apple,plum and oak) - but any ideas for timber supplies are more than welcome :D

Andrew

PowerTool":19rwekmg said:
Thanks for the tip - do you get seconds from timber merchants/yards,or direct from sawmills ?
Andrew

Andrew, I find it pays to go to a merchant that mills his own timber, stockists as such don't usually have seconds, although some on the forum might say otherwise judging by the comments about the poor quality supplied at times.

I'm afraid I don't know about your neck of the woods for mills, I use Yandles, Ockenden, John Bradford and the like, getting to know a small supplier can save you pounds, especially if you are prepared to finish dry samples yourself.

Another source of timber is an Arboretum if you have one near, they often have a clear out sale of wood, (may not be publicly advertised, you need to ask nicely) even that designated for firewood in the chainsaw wielders graveyard may well be worth a few months drying out. Whenever I go to our local one it costs me about £15 to fill the boot of the car.

Andrew... if you've any large estates (lord of the manor type, not council :lol: ) in your area, get to know the head gardener or forester...

Hi , like your turnings

would like to ask a question though

Is there a reason for the bowls not being very deep , they look to be turned from a thick blank ?

is this something to do with the type of mounting used ?

any chance of a photo of the underside of one of your bowls , just to see how you mounted them

I am about to buy a lathe and am currently reading a turning book , so I am a virgin :wink:

thanks

Latest posts

Back