Wet Saturday afternoon..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todays piece :-
Picture237Small.jpg

Picture239Small.jpg

American black walnut,165mm diameter,70mm overall height,oiled.

And I found time to put up some much-needed shelves... :wink:

Andrew

Midweek piece (workshop was a bit nippy to start with,though) :-
Picture242Small.jpg

Picture244Small.jpg

Elm,125mm diameter,45mm high,waxed.

Andrew

Todays piece

Picture246Small.jpg

Picture247Small.jpg

Ash,205mm diameter,45mm high,oiled.
Managed a more consistent wall and base thickness,as I purchased some callipers to take some of the guesswork out of it.

Andrew

You seem to have mastered the flat bases Andrew, not the easiest thing to do. I find the 'squeak' from a 150mm steel rule drawn across the surface most satisfying. after a while you will find that if you come to 'flatten' a rim for gluing on something like my recent pots you will be able to get them square first shot.

Very mild this morning - first time for a good number of weeks I haven't needed any heating on in the workshop.

Picture001Small.jpg

Picture003Small.jpg

Beech,155mm diameter,35mm high,finished with friction polish.

Andrew

Nice work again Andrew... is it optical delusion or are your bowls getting a little deeper?

Thanks Graham - bowls are getting deeper as bases are getting thinner,all due to some kind person on here suggesting that a 2 or 3mm dovetail recess will work perfectly well (which it does) rather than the 6mm+ I was doing before.
Can't think who it was,though.. :whistle:
But say thanks if you see them :wink:

Andrew

2mm always looks to be impossible, but it really does work. Of course, you can also wind-up any knowing types who invariably turn the bowl over and inspect the base before declaiming 'ah yes, I used to do this...' by mounting the finished bowl base outwards in a cole jaw, and then removing the rest of the base (the outer circle so to speak) so the recess disappears! That can get the bases even thinner!!

The best I've managed to inspire so far was a genuine double-take from one such 'expert' - I'm fairly sure he still hasn't worked it out!

PowerTool":2ii56cfe said:
Thanks Graham - bowls are getting deeper as bases are getting thinner,all due to some kind person on here suggesting that a 2 or 3mm dovetail recess will work perfectly well (which it does) rather than the 6mm+ I was doing before.
Can't think who it was,though.. :whistle:
But say thanks if you see them :wink:

Andrew

Time we had a chuckle button in the smilies :lol:

On holiday this week,so inbetween the long list of jobs to do at my ex-wifes pub...
Picture009Small.jpg

Picture011Small.jpg

Goncalo alves,155mm diameter,80mm overall height,finished in melamine lacquer.

Andrew

More good stuff Andrew... I'm running out of superlatives :wink:

Pub... some jobs are made in heaven :p

Got most of the jobs finished at the pub,so made this :-
Picture016Small.jpg

Picture017Small.jpg

My first platter - elm,255mm diameter,35mm overall height,oiled.

Andrew

S'nice, I love those simple looks, so easy to get carried away and stick loads of unnecessary (IMHO) curves all over the place.

Hope I'll be producing similar soon

Pete

Bodrighy":3i3fc0gn said:
S'nice, I love those simple looks, so easy to get carried away and stick loads of unnecessary (IMHO) curves all over the place.

Hope I'll be producing similar soon

Pete

Thanks - looking forward to seeing pictures of your work with that new chuck of yours :wink:
I love to see other peoples work; there is often something to be learnt from it,or get ideas and inspiration,or at least to just enjoy it :D

Andrew

PowerTool":oooxraww said:
I love to see other peoples work; there is often something to be learnt from it,or get ideas and inspiration,or at least to just enjoy it :D

Andrew

Me too, keep 'em coming :wink:

Following a trip to G&S Timbers this morning :-

Picture022Small.jpg

Picture024Small.jpg

Cherry,150mm diameter,25mm high,finished in friction polish.
Managed walls 2mm thick at the top,base is 5mm thick,held on a 1 mm chucking recess (only fell off once :oops: )

Andrew

Latest posts

Back