Wet Saturday afternoon..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTool

Established Member
Reaction score
..so I thought I would have a go at turning a box.Never tried before,but there was one in my latest book purchase - Chris Childs "Projects for woodturners",so with a little help from Chris :-
Picture133Small.jpg

Picture130Small.jpg

Lemonwood,90mm diameter,60mm high,finished with friction polish.

Would recommend the book for "learner turners" (like me :) ),and lemonwood was very nice timber to work.

Andrew

Nice work Andrew, lemon wood is almost as good as boxwood.

Which method did you use? I can't tell from the pic whther you attempted the grain lined up method...

A couple of lines (either a simple groove or burned in with wire) top and bottom of the join will disguise its presence :wink: (I sometimes put a matching set at the bottom of the box... gives a little balance.

Turned a spigot,and mounted in chuck.Turned inside of box lid from the tailstock end,and parted it off.Then turned the collar for the lid to fit on to (tightly),turned the lid around and fitted on;sanded and finished the outside,then hollowed out the inside and parted off from the bottom.(All following Chris Childs instructions)
So the grain on the lid is actually opposite to the grain on the body of the box.
Thanks for the advice,as next time I will try to make one with matching grain.

Andrew

Nice one Andrew, You say the lid is a tight fit, dependant on how dry/stable the wood was do not be put off if it tightens up (goes a little oval) remounting the lid and skimming the inside rim will be a good excise :wink: :lol:

PS: don't think the weather is going to be much better tomorrow so expect to see a couple of others with trimmings as suggested by Graham :twisted: :lol:

Power tool wrote:
Chris Childs "Projects for woodturners",

My one and only woodturning book is by Peter Childs (Chris's dad) - 'The Craftsman Woodturner' in hardback, which I bought in 1976. Content is maybe a little dated now, but the basics remain the same and I think its still a very good book. Nice little box, these are quite good to make and use up the oddments of stuff around the 'shop, better than putting in on a woodburner :roll: :lol: - Rob

Hi Paul - took me about two hours,partly due to lemonwood being so easy to work (other timber types would have taken me longer :( )

Chas - been quite a nice day today,so no more boxes yet (had Christmas shopping to do,amongst other things) but made this mushroom after tea
Picture143Small.jpg

First time I've tried one of those as well - yew,100mm tall,waxed,took about an hour.

Andrew

Andrew, take care with any dust from the Yew, it can sensitize the sinus etc. very easily. Even with a good dust mask and extensive extraction I now have to resort to a nose clip when handling or cleaning up after working it, followed by immediate shower to remove from skin and hair. I guess the particles ingested are no bigger or numerous than pollen grains but just as irritating.

Failed to follow the routine strictly on friday afternoon and am just getting over it following a snuffly weekend.

Mind you I am very sensitive to any of the 'problem wood' dusts, never had so many showers in my life, with me it usually takes 4-5 hours for any reaction to occur. Even have to be cautious about wearing a coverall again after a long session unless it has been laundered.

Andrew
Isn’t a rainy day a lovely day for wood turners… ? :wink:
Your first box is very nice, congratulation !
May I dare giving you some suggestion for the next one, only based on my preferences not that the way I turn them is the only way to do it?

I personally like the lining up of the fibers between the box and its lid. To do that I have first to ensure that I carve the same side of the wood. It seems to me that your lid and box have the fibers in opposite direction.
The second aspect of a box which I like most is to have the male insert on the lid, not on the box. To me (and again it is only a personal taste, when the box is open I find it quite nice not to have the male insert modify the general figure of the box.

Again: CONGRATULATION

Hi Andrew,
Well done turning your first box- nice job. If you haven't already seen it I would recommend having a look at Chris Stott's DVD about turning inlaid boxes. I found it inspirational and he has some good tips about carrying the grain pattern through, even compensating for the removed material. Happy turning ,John.

Couple of hours spare midweek led to this:-
Picture146Small.jpg

Picture148Small.jpg

Tambootie,145mm,waxed.

Has anybody used tambootie before ?
Funny stuff - firstly,it has quite a strong smell (not unpleasant,just unusual)
Secondly - very waxy timber;works well,produces nice long shavings,but takes forever to sand because it clogs the abrasive more or less instantly :shock:

Andrew

PowerTool":3uzf8l5f said:
Has anybody used tambootie before ?
Funny stuff - firstly,it has quite a strong smell (not unpleasant,just unusual)
Secondly - very waxy timber;works well,produces nice long shavings,but takes forever to sand because it clogs the abrasive more or less instantly :shock:

Andrew

Yes I have,Very good description of the wood and sanding problems, can't see anything other than wax being viable as finish.

Yesterdays mediochre weather led to this:-
Picture150Small.jpg

Acacia,90mm high,90mm diameter,friction polish.

Then started this
Picture152Small.jpg

which I finished this morning - yew,150mm diameter,waxed.

Then spent the afternoon tidying up the workshop,getting ready fir the next project (whatever that is going to be 8) )

Andrew

Do I detect the steepening of the slope :wink: The joys of finding a home for the finished projects, hope you have sent SWMBO on an appropriate appreciation course. :)

CHJ":16v1c4xq said:
Do I detect the steepening of the slope :wink:

Err...perhaps :oops:
Partly due to now having a better lathe,actually having a chuck now,better selection of chisels,having read a couple of good books,picking up good advice on here,getting the workshop more organized (to name but a few reasons :lol: )
And still having the urge to try out as many different timbers and finishes as I can find :D

Andrew

Made this last week,from an offcut
Picture165Small.jpg

Elm,95mm diameter,35mm high

And still have plenty of different timbers to try out :-
Picture168Small.jpg

Have imbuya,bubinga,zebrano,purpleheart,goncalo alves,oak,poplar,padauk,elm and pau amarello to go at - should give me something to do for a week or several,even if I get nothing off santa.. :wink:

Andrew

Moving on Andrew, are you finding the differing wood types/textures are helping you understand tool presentation, they certainly helped me come to terms quicker I feel, rather than just staying with the easy/same option.

Back