Well which One ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
I have suffered much distress over the last few weeks trying to decide which plane to buy.
I have a few 4's a couple of 5's a 3 and a few others.

The LN 62 features high on my list but I am like a kid in a sweet shop

So come on lets have some suggestions

Bean

Philly a few a no 3, 2 off 4's, 2 off 5's, low angle bolck, boat anchor, a few moulding planes, router plane,and a couple of others I cannot remember the number of now.
As for makers mainly Old stanley, Record, Nearly new Clifton and I cannot remember the makers of the moulding planes

Bean

Oh dear, someone has definately fallen down the slope.

Seriously, only but what you will use, don't get cought up in the Philly trap. :D :D

Bean
How about a jointer? There seems to be a hole in your plane armoury.
The #62 is a nice plane but you already have some #5's.
A #7 is really useful for getting things flat.
Hope this helps,
Philly :D

I was going to say a jointer too. Tony's got a spare... :roll: Or a shoulder plane? Or you could take a radical route and wait until you find you actually need a certain Burfl.

But I doubt that'll catch on... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1iit9pt0 said:
...Or you could take a radical route and wait until you find you actually need a certain Burfl.

But I doubt that'll catch on... :lol:
Now where's the sport in that? There's also wait until one needs--and then figure out how to avoid purchasing yet another tool...

The other end of that spectrum is acquiring the solutions [tools] and then finding the problems to use them on.

Ok, so either is unrealistic. I think like mentioned, a good suable jointer-sized plane fairly rounds out the bench plane type tools. As Alf mentioned, perhaps a shoulder plane, as well as a rabbet block plane, or perhaps a scraper plane.

Take care, Mike

Alf":2yqc3cnm said:
I was going to say a jointer too. Tony's got a spare... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

:lol: :lol: 8)

You have no idea how many time I have told him to buy a Jointer :roll:

For the record, I think a CLifton #7 (you know how much you love Cliftons :wink: ) and a LN LA Jack

BUT, I saw yesterday that LN have started to produce the skew block in iron as well as bronze (cheaper too). Being made of bronze is the only thing that has put me off buying one so far (and Alf's review left me with a few concerns). Mine should arrive in time for my birthday :lol:

God damn and blast these ruddy tool makers. Why do they always wait until just after I've bought the flippin' thing before they introduce the improvements?! Cheaper iron option I knew about and ground my teeth accordingly, but a "pizza wheel" nicker blade as standard now? Damn and blast. Years I thought about getting a #140 before finally taking the plunge and TLN does this to me. ](*,) It's as bad as buying computers...

On the other hand maybe a left hand version in iron will be easier to justify as a "different" tool... :-k :wink:

Cheers, Alf

A now look a Jointer but they are really loooooooong, I would have to go outside to turn it around.

But I suppose it is sensible as I use my :D Clifton :D to joint with at the moment but then if I wanted sensible suggestions why did I ask you lot.

Ok Ok I will look at jointers, but they are long, mmm what about a 6......

Bean

gee alf, and after all those reviews, we all thought you got them for free.

since i have a mafell 6x4 planer/thicknesser, i tend to wonder whether a jointer is one to far, although if it is that long, and you have to go outside, how small is your workshop, and how long are the bits of wood you have to plane???

anyway to re-iterate what i started to say in the above paragraph, i tend to handplane to final smoothness and thickness, now i've learnt how to properly sharpen my planes!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

but seriously one of the decisions ought to be what kind of work are you planing, and then make a "considered" decision, (as if !:lol: :lol: )

paul :wink:

Bean":3016x9xs said:
mmm what about a 6......

Bean

My current choice for the shooting board as it is nice and heavy (the plane, no tthe shooting board :roll: )

Well as to the type of work small boxes, chests tables up to 8 seat dining tables.

I think a 6 would be a nice comprimise.........................But that No 62 is just soooooooooooo pretty.

Bean

A 6 is not a bad sized plane if you're pressed for space. I have a very nice Record # 6 and it's a handy sized plane.

Been drooooling over a Veritas bevel up jointer this morning..............must find some work to do

Bean

Back