Clifton No 5 - New toy, new joy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
After 25 yrs of toil i got a bunch of Amazon vouchers from my company, some conversation with Axminster and they listed some Clifton planes. I got a 4 and a 7 last year but the 5 had been out of stock forever. It came back in stock recently and arrived with me earlier in the week. I now have a new favourite.
IMG_3941.jpeg

It has a very nice weight in the hand, some more heft than the 4 but not so much to make it unwieldy.

It took some time to get the back of the iron polished flat (yes Jacob that’s not necessary) but it’s how I like it. Cap iron was great out the box.

The casting is very nice although there were a couple of tool marks in a few places.

Handles well finished a a great size for my hands, which are a size 10 glove.

The frog had a couple of nasty burrs, but soon removed with a file.

A little more backlash on the yoke than on the number 4 and 5 but still less than on my Stanley.

After an hour or cleanup and tune up it is a wonderful thing to work with, my new favourite plane.

Fitz.

Very shiny I am quite envious. I wonder if the handles are larger than Stanleys, I always find the handles just too cramped under the curved bit at the top on my stanley 41/2 and 5.

Ollie

Nice buy 👍 Would love to hear your thoughts after using for a few weeks as I am considering treating myself to one of these as well

Thomas flinn bought clico who made clifton planes, and yes still made in sheffield

I have a no 4 and a No 51/2 both very nice planes. 2 things I notice compared with te Stanley /Record planes is they are quite a bit heavier and there is much less backlash on the depth adjuster.
They are lovely planes to use but in reality dont work any better than my well set up Stanley or Record with a good blade and cap iron
Given the way prices are going they are probably a good investment and much better to buy something made at home employing UK rather than Canadian or American.
Ian

Nothing wrong with a bit of weight. Give me a heavy plane every time in preference to a light one, weight gives momentum which carries the plane through tougher areas and it's not as if you need to lift the plane off the work between passes; just slide it back.

Jim

IMHO, for the price they aren't as well finished as Id want and having to fettle it after paying a kidney would upset me a tad. Id rather go Lie Nielsen. Perfect finish and working right from the box.

I've had Cliftons and Lie Nielsens, hard to judge in terms of performance, though I much preferred the Clifton irons to sharpen. I prefer the looks of the Cliftons, though its a real shame they dropped the British racing green for that nondescript black.

Last edited:
IMHO, for the price they aren't as well finished as Id want and having to fettle it after paying a kidney would upset me a tad. Id rather go Lie Nielsen. Perfect finish and working right from the box.

Yes there are a couple of areas where I’d have liked a better finish, I have no idea if that is a desire that is achievable for the cost.

What’s the going wage for a uk machinist, how many hours labour is in one of these planes.

A no 5 in 2000 was £160, it’s now double that. According to uk inflation calculator £160 is now £344. All in all about the same so perhaps the quality shouldn’t have dropped over the years.

Back