Well that's embarrassing !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam W.

A Major Clanger
Reaction score
Had a tidy up below decks after buying a new Record 41/2 that I so desperately didn't need.........

IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2401.JPG

I forgot that I had these before spending AGAIN!

Had a tidy up below decks after buying a new Record 41/2 that I so desperately didn't need.........

View attachment 170300

View attachment 170301

I forgot that I had these before spending AGAIN!
I often finish up with multiples of things because I forget to take it with me and it’s quicker to buy another than go home and get the original. I’ve not managed to do it to that extent, yet…

Dont sweat it, probably cheaper than me buying a 29er wheel- new £170, then changing my mind and buying a new 27'5" wheel also £170. First wheel total waste of money

Worse is i bought 29er forks- 300, then needed 27'5" forks which were £310. so like the wheel, first set of forks now redundant.

Last edited:
My problem is that I have so much rubbish tipped in five stables along with the children's stuff, the stuff collected from various dead relatives and the garage/workshop tip that I can never find anything and so end up buying another as it is quicker than trying to find it. Having bought a new one I inevitably find the thing I was looking for in the most obvious place that I have passed many times during my initial search. One day I will get a skip and dump all the stuff that is too good to throw away but I never use and nobody wants. The children will only skip it when I am gone. Anyone want a pair of VASI light alignment gauges in wooden boxes or an army collapsable aerial pole and supports in a bag? Just some of the misc stuff I have accumulated.

My wife looked in my office and told me I had too many screwdrivers having seen a couple on my desk along with a set of miniature ones. She did not see the two more small sets I had in the office and various sets I have in the garage, the drawer full of miscellaneous ones and the tool bags with sets of various sizes of the different standards in insulated and uninsulated. Not that I can ever find the correct head and size when I want one.

I would like to try a 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 but I have never even seen one so I am always surprised at how many people them. Now I know why. Some people have large stocks of them in their workshop, causing an international shortage. I think you should sell some. Flood the market, improve availability and cause the price to drop.

I have a slight chisel abundance as well.

@TRITON There's a Record 010 in the lineup, 3rd from the left and a Stanley 4 1/2, 3rd from the right.

There's a Record 4 1/2 on the way and a Stanley 5 1/2 on the left.

I have so many, as I was working in Somerset, Essex, at college in London and Denmark all at the same time and it wasn't until I collected them all together in one place, that I realised I have hoarding tendencies.

I have a selection of wooden planes too, but I'm pleased to say that I use them, which is why the metal ones look sadly neglected.

Last edited:
Nice paring chisels. Is that a #10?

Yes a #10 and the chisels do seem nice, not sure when I will use them all, they will look pretty on the tool wall and make me look like a proper woodworker though..........🤣

Last edited:
I started off with power tools. But when you have a sharp bench plane or chisel ready to go, it’s easier and quicker than power tools, makes less noise and mess. That’s how the hand tool thing starts anyway.

I feel a bit better now as I now only have 4 #4s. The 2 wooden coffin smoothers and the infill smother dont really count.
Sometimes its good to have a couple as when one gets dull just pick up another. The crunch comes when they all need sharpening.

Back