Beginner's Project: Wardrobe + Wall Bed - Birch Ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyBeBop

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
In our flat, we are desperately in need of storage, and since we have a spare bedroom, we decided to build a wardrobe, plus two smaller units and a wall bed to accommodate guests, but still keep the room quite spacious. We looked into buying something already made, but nothing fitted our ideas. It's a very ambitious project because I've never built anything like this.

We didn't want to use MDF, and birch ply had always had the look that we wanted. Despite its price being quite prohibitive these days, we managed to find some decent boards.

The design is quite basic, but then again, so are my furniture-making skills.

To be continued...

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 13.09.21.png
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 13.09.37.png

Good luck to you. The design looks really great.

I'm coming to the end of building wardrobes for 2 bedroom. Even though the amount of panels/components I ended up with seemed quite daunting, I found it quite straight forward. I found using low tack masking tape as labels really useful for keeping tract of the panels of which panel was which, Plus I put info of which way was up, front/back etc. I found it was easy to get panels disorientated without them.

It would be interesting to heat how you progress if you would like to share.

Cool, looks good. I’m also mid-project on a similar style (inset doors, handle pockets routed out of the carcass) run of cabinets in my basement - be keen to see how yours progresses.

Which reminds me, need to update my old thread…

UPDATE: It's finally done.

I had to learn a lot from scratch, scour numerous forum posts, and watch countless YouTube videos, but it's finished. Here is some information about the tools and materials used for those, like me, who are learning and would like to know more. I'm sure there are a thousand better ways to achieve this, but I couldn't always find the best answer online, so I had to trust my instincts.

- I live in a flat, and all the work was done in the second bedroom where the furniture was intended to go. It presented its challenges, and working on the floor definitely provided a great knee workout.

Wood:
- Birch Plywood 18mm overall, 12mm for drawer sides and 9mm for the drawer bottoms and for shelves.
- 3.6mm Hardwood plywood for the backs
- I bought the full panels and cut them in the room floor using a track saw and an insulation board to protect the floor. I used opticutter to help me with the measurements.

Tools - All of these are entry level tools that offer very nice results for a beginner like myself:
- Track Saw - I had a circular saw already and I considered buying a track system that I could use. I quickly realised that buying a track/plunge saw would be a better option. I went for a Mac Allister from B&Q, which brings two 700mm rails.
- Blade (recommended by @petermillard) - Triton 48T - I managed to get very clean plywood cuts
- Track - I bought a Makita 1500mm guide rail which fits the Mac Allister. The connection between the Makita rail and the Mac Allister is not 100% smooth, but it works. Buying more rails or longer rails was not an option due to budget and space.
- Sander - Corded 125mm Random Orbital DeWalt with 3M cubitron II disks
- Combi Drill - DeWalt
- Dowel Jig - This jig, which I saw recommended here in the forum, was such a great purchase. It would have been a very painful process to do dowels without it
- Router/Trimmer - Although not entirely needed, this famous cheap router from Amazon helped me to cut the door handles and to cut the grooves for the drawer bottoms. I got a few router bits from Wealden.
- Jigsaw - Also not entirely needed, but very useful, I went for the Makita M4301 - For £40, it's a very solid jigsaw, with hard plastic body and a strong cord.
- Combination Square - Just a special mention. I have never used a combination square before, and this little Bahco is such an inexpensive, but now essential tool in my toolbox
- Dust extraction - Unfortunately, I couldn't justify buying something that I don't have space to keep, but it would have been really helpful to have some kind of vacuum cleaner to reduce the level of dust, especially during sanding.

Wall Bed Mechanism, Hinges, runners, etc:
- I made an extensive search for wall bed mechanisms. I was decided to go for this one from Struts Depot, due to its affordability and because the company sells struts, so I suppose they can help you with the best ones for the bed weight, but a friend of mine moved to a flat with a wall bed and he was not keen on keeping it, so I was lucky enough to be given the mechanism and the legs, which is this model from Hafele. It required some reverse engineering since I didn't have the original instructions or bolts. I ended up deciding for some insert nuts on the caracass and I ordered the bolts from ebay.
- Blum inset soft closing hinges - Not entirely essential, but this 3d printed jig, was really helpful to fit the hinges.
- Blum movento runners

Finish
- Two coats of Osmo polyx Oil Semi-Matt using a non-abrasive pad.

Closet1.png

Closet2.png

Thanks guys. In fairness, when I first posted I was already working on it for 2 or 3 weeks.

I bought the 18mm birch ply from Builder Depot. They sell it as B/BB and I can't really complain about the qualities, but I don't really know too much to offer a proper judgement.
The 12mm and 9mm, I bought it from E Roberts Timber in North London. I think it was BB/BB and in one of the sides there was some patches, but more than good for drawers.

Excellent effort. Personally I'd be looking at trying to make that top brace behind the bed look more intentional. If there's room when the bed is in the upright position, some lighting or hooks or something maybe.

I'd also want to hide the brackets holding it to the wall, a bit of trim and construction adhesive maybe.

Very minor points though.

Latest posts

Back