Bed and Bedhead

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
I completed this a month ago, but do not recall posting the pictures here, so ....

It started with a King size Mission-style bed I built 25 years ago ...

859a5a97271f438e7f231a29125edef8.jpg

Lynndy had two complaints: firstly, she is an extremely light sleeper and would wake if I so much as twitched or rolled over. I had attempted to deal with this by including twin mattresses, which could be pulled apart (by an inch), if she felt disturbed.

As an aside, it is amazing the number of friends of ours who complain of the exact situation. Their solution is to play musical beds in separate bedrooms. They are not happy. This is a big reason I have posted this build.

Secondly, Lynndy is the main bed-maker (I do make it as well. I promise). The high tailboard makes this a difficult and extra-physical process. She wanted a bed without a tail board.

What did I want? A happy wife? Okay, and a more modern-looking bed. I was over the heavy Mission style.

I built two single beds, which could be used as a single, kingsize bed when pushed together. Here is one ..

6.jpg

The key feature was the absence of any lips on the inside edges which would impede the mattresses. They slide together and feel like one. They can be pulled away, again by an inch, and this isolates vibrations (= happy wife).

10.jpg

In line with isolating vibration, the bedhead could not be connected to the beds. It needed to be, instead, attached to the wall behind the beds.

My design choices were, firstly, to have a slim, clean built, and to do this I hid the bench bolts inside the rails.

7.jpg

Secondly, to have a modern version of a Mission-style bed for the bedhead. The old slats were re-sawn and laminated to created a slight curve ...

32.jpg

As the straight rails connected to curved posts, there was shaping to do to blend them together ..

3.jpg

2.jpg

The bedhead was also to be hung using French Cleats. It was important, when all was said and done, that the posts lay flat against the wall. The top rail at the rear of the bedhead was lower, and the French Cleat would fit here ...

7.jpg

One complication here is that the cleat needed to be shaped to fit the taper of the rails ..

8.jpg

The cleat ran from 150mm inside the posts to provide some positioning options, if needed (cleat seen at top - the bottom piece is for the wall) ..

9.jpg

It is difficult to photograph the bedhead and capture the angles and detail as the wood is dark, and the lighting in my workshop is not great. But here is the bedhead on the bench ...

4.jpg

The curve is gentle but more evident in person. Not so evident here ...

5.jpg

The slats look like a one-piece. The laminations are not evident ...

6.jpg

On the bedroom wall ...

10.jpg

Here can be seen the French Cleat, but also some of the fine details not evident before: the surround has a 6mm chamfer; all the other edges had the edges broken with a block plane (i.e. very fine) to retain the clean lines internally.

11.jpg

The bedhead closer up ...

13.jpg

... and the complete build ...

12.jpg

Happy wife. Happy life.
:)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looks fantastic. I was hoping to see some finished pictures.

I suppose the legs grip the ground really well in your case as they are on carpet. I stayed in a hotel at one time that had the headboard attached to the wall and a loose divan pushed up against it. Sitting in the bed and leaning against the resulted in the bed sliding away from the wall. Fortunately it was only the pillows that fell down the gap and not me.

Thanks Paul. These beds are HEAVY (Jarrah). They do not move easily.

What is wierd is that - somewhat like a phantom limb - I walk past the end of the bed at night in the dark, and I reach out to guide myself past the hard edges of the tail board ... which is no longer there. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Paul. These beds are HEAVY (Jarrah). They do not move easily.

What is wierd is that - somewhat like a phantom limb - I walk past the end of the bed at night in the dark, and I reach out to guide myself past the hard edges of the tail board ... which is no longer there. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek
Having stubbed my toe on a drawer left open by my wife I always walk a wide curve past the wardrobe in our bedroom when the lights are out so I know how your mind is working. You will probably still be avoiding those sharp edges for years to come 😀

really great
also your workshop looks a good place to do that sort of thing

I like the colour

I made a headboard - which was then covered in fabric .......

Latest posts

Back