Wall bed/Murphy bed hinge help please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers guys,
Both good ideas although I think mw might be right about our scrap yards but I’ll have a look on eBay anyway.
I’d not thought about the slot idea so will certainly bear it in mind, I’m not sure how I’d get it to work smoothly though.
At the moment I’m contemplating making a larger version of the above hinge, or copping out and buying a standard hinge kit and just having a tighter squeeze past the end of the bed.
Nick

Back in the 1950 early 60s my grannie and grandad lived in rooms below us and slept on a big old rexene covered fold out sofa bed which my father disparagingly refered to as “the rat trap”
Its quite warming to know that these traditions carry on! 😉
Steve.

This is an interesting TD problem. When I taught this we found the best way to understand the problem was to make a model. Obviously your bed should be made of more robust material than cardboard and the rollers would have to be better than paper fasteners.
My brothers had wall beds which had complicated steel pantographs with powerful springs. Good luck please post a picture of your successful project.

1681400957011.jpeg
1681401025662.jpeg
1681401072316.jpeg

Hi is this what you mean https://www.strutsdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/mechanism-without-logo.png
I made a bed for my work room
But being tight I went for the bolt pivot.
Cheers phil
Thanks, I’ve found these in my searches but they’re a plain pivot similar to the hafele ones linked (somewhere) above. They’re the ones I’ll use if I don’t find or fabricate something more complicated.
This is an interesting TD problem. When I taught this we found the best way to understand the problem was to make a model. Obviously your bed should be made of more robust material than cardboard and the rollers would have to be better than paper fasteners.
My brothers had wall beds which had complicated steel pantographs with powerful springs. Good luck please post a picture of your successful project.

View attachment 157138View attachment 157139View attachment 157140
This is great, and more food for thought, although if I’m gonna fabricate something I’m veering more towards a four bar linkage than bearings and slots/rails as it seems easier perhaps.

I’ve still not finished my son’s cabin bed, and after that I’ve got under stairs storage to do so plenty time to contemplate this mechanism.
🤔

Latest posts

Back