Web Design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with all you say. I suppose in the end it boils down to, in this matter, what sort of web presence your customers want. Merely a 'shop window' to point potential customers to, gallery of previous work etc., or a vibrant web presence, showing recent work, new work directions etc.. The latter choice will, of course, require many and frequent updates hopefully at their expence and to your profit. The former is almost a 'fit and forget' job.
Of course there will be customers who want something in the middle. In my limited experience of web site design, I find the most difficult thing is to get the customer to decide exactly what they want. True of most things I suppose. Maybe a way forward is to decide on one or a couple of 'products' which you can offer and ask for a simple choice rather than offering a massive field of choice half of which is beyond comprehension.
xy

If you're aiming at quite a specific market with a relatively contained set of requirements, then it's feasible to build a CMS for the content and custom designed front ends. You could even do it in a component fashion insofar as the CMS contains a number of features and you simply enable and charge for those that the customer wants. I keep considering resurrecting a CMS that I built and gift it to people in these parts who want to maintain their own content. I just haven't had the time...

Wizer

You could start with your own site :wink:

and use it as an example of your talent

I tend to use an admin area for most sites.
It doesn't really speed up my work any but it will allow the site owner to update specific parts of the site whenever they want.
I suppose I should put up a few examples at somepoint.

Do you script that yourself Jon or use a OS solution?

Let me know what you want. I am sure we can come to some sort of friendly arrangement. ;)

yeh, one domino for a website. I'll be sorted by the end of 2050 (then I'll have to actually buy the machine) :roll:

Back