New member in Scotland, beginner, needing lots of advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsjwilson

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for accepting me to your workshop site. 8yrs after moving into our family house, I have finally cleared the years of rubbish from the large garage I am very lucky to have - literally tons of warped MDF, offcuts of kitchen cabinets, worktops, doors, windows, lengths of wood, variably damp . The garage used to have a saw mill in it some time ago, and there is still a cast iron base there which i presume is something to do with it, but more recently has been used by a joiner. Anyway, I am a beginner really. I
1000009393.jpg
have had all my stuff in the house, and every time I set myself up somewhere in the house, I just got criticised wherever I tried to do stuff, which is probably fair given the saw dust I made. Eventually, I gave up, until getting into the garage which I want to turn into my workshop. For me, wood work is about mindfulness, creativity, doing things with my hands, and ensuring the kids get exposed to this side of their potential working futures. My short term aim is setting up my workshop, investing in a table saw and pillar drill, and building a workbench. Long term, I'm probably nuts, but I would like to make windows for our house. Clearing the garage I've salvaged any potentially usable wood, plywood, and bonuses during the clear out include are a few chunks of ?mahogany, and an old jointer (which seems to be working ok). The other thing I'd like to do is set up a local men's shed. Anyway, hello to all.

pictures are some recent projects: nest box in progress, wall tool organiser, a picture of the ?mahogany, framing and repurposed door with chicken flap in old bunker, treehouse base, lower run of oak to try and match main headboard to stop pillows going down bed, and shave horse for the kids.
1000008608.jpg
1000003676.jpg
1000003586.jpg

Attachments

• 1000009394.jpg
    1000009394.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1000009234.jpg
    1000009234.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1000008770.jpg
    1000008770.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Thanks Sachakins. If there isnt insanity in our lives, there is something missing!!

I should add, I always wanted to work with wood. When I was a kid I wanted to make violins (I still do!!) but that wasn't the parental expectation and I ended up being a doctor (pathologist). I am very grateful for my career, but it has taken alot out of me, and it took a severe mental health crisis to really engage in my long term urge to work with wood. Now it is the thing that makes everything better, and has helped to ensure mindfulness and working to live, not living to work, if you know what I mean!! Apologies if this is oversharing!!

Thanks for accepting me to your workshop site. 8yrs after moving into our family house, I have finally cleared the years of rubbish from the large garage I am very lucky to have - literally tons of warped MDF, offcuts of kitchen cabinets, worktops, doors, windows, lengths of wood, variably damp . The garage used to have a saw mill in it some time ago, and there is still a cast iron base there which i presume is something to do with it, but more recently has been used by a joiner. Anyway, I am a beginner really. IView attachment 167177 have had all my stuff in the house, and every time I set myself up somewhere in the house, I just got criticised wherever I tried to do stuff, which is probably fair given the saw dust I made. Eventually, I gave up, until getting into the garage which I want to turn into my workshop. For me, wood work is about mindfulness, creativity, doing things with my hands, and ensuring the kids get exposed to this side of their potential working futures. My short term aim is setting up my workshop, investing in a table saw and pillar drill, and building a workbench. Long term, I'm probably nuts, but I would like to make windows for our house. Clearing the garage I've salvaged any potentially usable wood, plywood, and bonuses during the clear out include are a few chunks of ?mahogany, and an old jointer (which seems to be working ok). The other thing I'd like to do is set up a local men's shed. Anyway, hello to all.

pictures are some recent projects: nest box in progress, wall tool organiser, a picture of the ?mahogany, framing and repurposed door with chicken flap in old bunker, treehouse base, lower run of oak to try and match main headboard to stop pillows going down bed, and shave horse for the kids.
View attachment 167181View attachment 167182View attachment 167183
First hello and welcome to the forum, your garage has huge potential but looks like it needs a fair amount of work to make it viable. The
mere mention of damp is not good tbh . There are some excellent workshop build threads here but tackling the damp will be I fear your biggest challenge. Good luck - and you only need to ask ..

Thanks bingy. The garage damp is I believe due to: 1) stolen cast iron guttering. I've ordered some plastic guttering..it's the tattie holidays here and its one of the main jobs. 2) rotten metal windows letting water in, mostly because of the lack of guttering. I'm not sure what to do about the windows as they are a small.aperture and the metal worked well to maximise light. The joiner had just blocked the windows with wood and insulation removing all natural light. I've opened them all back up. Only.one window is too far gone to be repaired. 3) The lady who lived here before was really old, with poor eyesight, and people clearly took advantage. People dumped huge amounts of rubbish, behind the garage, which had all become embeded in mud and detritis extending a foot or so deep against the back wall. I have cleared this away from the building and it is drying out. It was everything against this back wall that was sodden wet. The building has 3 phase, but it still has original wiring which the joiner had just taken a spur off from, which must have been very dangerous. So yes, I have a huge amount to do. But thats what life is for isn't it.

Thanks bingy. The garage damp is I believe due to: 1) stolen cast iron guttering. I've ordered some plastic guttering..it's the tattie holidays here and its one of the main jobs. 2) rotten metal windows letting water in, mostly because of the lack of guttering. I'm not sure what to do about the windows as they are a small.aperture and the metal worked well to maximise light. The joiner had just blocked the windows with wood and insulation removing all natural light. I've opened them all back up. Only.one window is too far gone to be repaired. 3) The lady who lived here before was really old, with poor eyesight, and people clearly took advantage. People dumped huge amounts of rubbish, behind the garage, which had all become embeded in mud and detritis extending a foot or so deep against the back wall. I have cleared this away from the building and it is drying out. It was everything against this back wall that was sodden wet. The building has 3 phase, but it still has original wiring which the joiner had just taken a spur off from, which must have been very dangerous. So yes, I have a huge amount to do. But thats what life is for isn't it.
Exactly- nothing is easy and even if it was you don’t learn anything.
Addressing all those issues you mentioned will go a long way to towards the damp . No doubt insulation will also . I think the idea of setting up a men’s shed is commendable and will help others .. 👍👍

Back