We all like a nice rack. ... Tool shelf ideas please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wouldchuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's an easy one - what homemade shelf system are you using to store you turning tools?

I want a tool rack for around 20 chisels (seeing as that's what I inherited, give or take) to mount directly above the lathe. I was thinking about a simple shelf, with two rows of 50mm holes cut with a hole-saw. Through each hole insert a piece of plastic tubing around 200mm to 300mm long, glued and screwed into the shelf, and with the cut-outs from the holes glued and screwed at the bottoms to close the tubes. The tools would then drop into the tubes handle down, leaving the ferrule (which have little stickers on to remind me what is what) visible. I should say, I onlyhave around 800mm of width, hence thinking a shelf around that by 150mm deep with a double row.

Any better ideas?? Any inspirational pictures of your setup much appreciated.

I inherited the lathe a couple of years ago (CL4 variable, with a bunch of tools) and after all this time with it sat at my parent's, and having only had a few sporadic sessions, I have finally installed the lathe closer to home so am looking forward to some more frequent turning - tonight for the first time in over a year I got back on it and started turning a piece of 6inch diameter hawthorne into an end-grain bowl. I think my tools are somewhat blunt, but it felt good to have the shavings flying! Not sure when I will get on to the hard bit... the hollowing!

I may try and get to the Didcot woodturning club if there are any others on here who are members?

Cheers,

Tim

it is funny that you should ask. I have been thinking about the same issue, i.e. a shelf to go above/behind the lathe, to hold all the tools that I have, which is about 20!

I have thought of/found a few ideas, ranging from a wooden box, filled with lengths of waste pipe, hot glued in, to a simple plank, held up by shelf brackets with holes in it. There are also racks that look nice, displaying the tools handle down.

I think that I am going to go for a double shelf, the top one with holes in prob mainly 40mm, and the lower shelf to stop any handles from falling through if they are too small for the hole. This saves having to accurately measure every handle, although I still may do so and have a single shelf. I can also easily see which tool is which.

There are plenty of ideas here https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lathe ... 53&bih=663 my concern with waste pipe is the cost of it, particularly if you start adding stop ends etc.

I use spring clips screwed on to a wooden board on the wall. Axminster call these things Heartbeat Spring Zinc Tool Clips. They cost about 20p each. I have 3 different sizes, so I can mount the appropriate size for the ferule. They are easy to clip in and out, no need for space above to slide the tools up. Also easy to adjust if required.
Andy

i am using those at the moment on the front of my lathe stand, and haven't been that impressed. But, I have used the around the handles- I wonder whether smaller ones, sized to the ferrule would be better. It would also be better away from the vibration of the lathe.

Bear with me until the morning so as I can take some photos - as I've been there and have a solution that works for me.
Rather than have identifiers for my various tools, I like to see the actual cutting edges so I have a cabinet for the most commonly used tools (above my lathe), one at the side for bowl gouges and a couple of clip racks for the other odds and sods.
Next instalment to follow.

I kept mine simple and it has worked well for quite a while now mind you it is now full and need to expand both are hung on the wall with French cleats

DSCF1791_zpsa96c6c63.jpg

Ahh... these are good.... Dalboy and Harlequins are both nice and simple. Dalboy's probably wins on cost as it doesnt require the tubes, just relies upon them 'leaning' backwards in the rack.

Next up - got to sort out some decent lighting and dust extraction...

Be careful when storing turning tools behind and above the lathe:
1. you may be tempted to reach over for a tool whilst the lathe is still running
2. if something flies off the lathe what will happen if it hits the tool rack?
3. depending on your turning style the tool rack may end up being a trap for shavings

My own solution has been a mobile tool rack

Attachments

• Tool Rack Mobile.JPG
    Tool Rack Mobile.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,031
I have my chisels (not wood-turning) upside down on a 50mm wide shelf and held vertical with magnets recessed into plywood backing. They are easily freed from the magnets and secure when not in use.

John

Mark Hancock":3gnr49gt said:
Be careful when storing turning tools behind and above the lathe:
1. you may be tempted to reach over for a tool whilst the lathe is still running
2. if something flies off the lathe what will happen if it hits the tool rack?
3. depending on your turning style the tool rack may end up being a trap for shavings

My own solution has been a mobile tool rack

I wish I had space for another way of storing them my original idea was a square cupboard with tools hanging around the outside the cupboard is fitted to a lazy susan one side would have a door so that things can be stored inside. I got as far as buying the lazy susan before realising that I had no where for it :oops:

1 Yes I agree what you can't see is that there is a bench at right angles where I place all the tools needed for the job. But for a novice or someone who does not have a routine then it should be placed differently

2 I have had something hit mine nothing has fallen yet but something worth thinking about

3 Can be a pain but if like me I vac with a crevice tool after every session

So as Mark has stated when placing the rack always be aware of different dangers that things can cause

Sorry for the delay, my storage utilises the inside of cupboard doors as well as the rack on the wall.
Having decided that I had all the turning tools I needed, I then inherited a load more hence some clips on the wall.
IMG_1358.jpg
IMG_1357.jpg
IMG_1359.jpg
IMG_1360.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 958
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 958
  • IMG_1359.jpg
    IMG_1359.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 958
  • IMG_1360.jpg
    IMG_1360.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 958
Thanks again - some more great ideas. I did have to think carefully about the rack behind the lathe, but unfortunately it really is the only place for it to go, I just don't have space for anything else floor standing. Its a long bed CL4 so the rack would be orientated to the right, so not close to the headstock which I hope minimises the risk of anything falling / being hit at the real area of work, and this should also minimise the dust/shavings collection.

Back