Warning...Sharpening Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
I have only been turning for about 8 months
realised that turning tools needed sharpening
however I thought this would be so easy on a grinder and happily carried on
never really happy with my efforts and now I know why
decided to take the plunge and get a pro edge
please note I don't work for sorby :)

what a difference it makes...and I can now blame my tools previous to this purchase
they was useless..and I know now ,so was I, with a grinder freehand
I can get a clean sharp cutting edge in seconds now
without just grinding them to oblivion
I can actually rough a square bowl blank down without just bouncing on the toolrest ( i do clip the corners on BS first)
I can actually turn a bowl without chatter and tool marks

Steve

Rule no one never use a bench grinder they should come with a warning not for sharpening chisel or plane blades or drills over 3/16

Glad you have now got all your tools sharpened Steve and that you have found the best way for you to get them like it. Now go and have a play in the shed and turn something :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wizard":3urfxisx said:
Rule no one never use a bench grinder they should come with a warning not for sharpening chisel or plane blades or drills over 3/16

I disagree with that I have been using a bench grinder to sharpen all of my turning tools. My tools cut just fine. It is not the tool but the person that is using it that is the main problem, some people just can't use a grinder without letting the tool get too hot

Dalboy":2thfw4r1 said:
Glad you have now got all your tools sharpened Steve and that you have found the best way for you to get them like it. Now go and have a play in the shed and turn something :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wizard":2thfw4r1 said:

I disagree with that I have been using a bench grinder to sharpen all of my turning tools. My tools cut just fine. It is not the tool but the person that is using it that is the main problem, some people just can't use a grinder without letting the tool get too hot

+1

Dalboy":1z98j5i7 said:

wizard":1z98j5i7 said:

i have been "mentored" by Derek and used his tools :lol:
i know he just uses a grinder
my tools were pathetic in comparison

just go to show that we are not equal
but my new pro edge ...gets me to the same level

Steve

If it works for you stick to it. Remember most experts have had years learning and it's easy to forget your mistakes once you stop making them.

I have a jet wetstone system (similar to the Tormek but a lot cheaper)
It allows me to get a repeatable profile on all my tools within a few seconds and removes the minimum of material from the tool. I do use Tormek grinding jigs though as they are far superior to the jet versions.

Bench grinders are inexpensive and have their place but are no match for a belt sander in terms of ease of use IMO.
I have a Record Power BDS250 which has been much modified on which I sharpen all my metal and woodworking tools. I can change grades in seconds and plan to get a belt strop at some point for it if I can. Once you've used a belt sander a double ended grinder seems rather crude in comparison. I bought my sander for £200 some years ago at the D&M show, they're now about £400. My grinder is old now but still a nice unit with 1" wheels, cost about £40 so not really fair to compare the two. I can and do use both but know which I prefer!

I use a bench grinder and a home made jig to sharpen my tools, mainly because it is what I can afford. I would love to be in a position to go and buy all the best tools and machines, but sadly that is not the case. I'm sure there are many more among our number who's purchasing is based on what they can afford rather than what they would like to be able to afford.
I think I may have stretched to around £40 for my silverline grinder. I would love to even upgrade the wheels for it, but when some months buying a bottle of superglue is out of the question this is unlikely to happen any time soon.

nev":3hb9c86w said:
Dalboy":3hb9c86w said:

wizard":3hb9c86w said:

+1

+2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,052
Warning about the above grinder/belt sander.
If you buy one please check everything is tight before using it. I bought one from Lidl and the first time I turned it on the grinding wheel came loose and was only prevented from flying off by the guard. Overall not a very well built machine :(

I have to agree with Derek,I`ve been sharpening all my tools all my life(saws included),with a bench grinder you really must use a delicate touch,my turning tools are all done freehand and are as sharp as anyone elses using these overpriced systems,I admit I was lucky,my dad started teaching me woodwork/sharpening etc from the age of 4yrs,i glad of that,saved me alot of money aver the yrs,cheers,

Eric.

Back