Aha sharpening moment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have been woodworking for three years and my sharpening was always somewhat inconsistent. It did not matter if I used a guide or freehand. Sometimes I got a hair-shaving sharp edge and sometimes it cut wood ok, but it could not shave or cut paper effortlessly. I used a loupe to examine the edge but I did not see anything peculiar. There is a very narrow depth of field and even with a good light, I was not able to see the cause.

These days I have started to frequent some sharpening forums and I saw a guy who used 400 grit diamond stone and 6ym diamond paste and got hair whittling sharp. So I eliminated the cause of not having a fancy stone being an issue.

Then I saw a post about checking the burr with the flashlight. You direct a flashlight against the edge in a manner that casts light on the burr. This way it can be perfectly visible every time (without using a microscope). When the burr is very small, I could not feel it by hand, so I assumed it was removed. Even though I now cannot completely remove the burr (by stropping or cutting into the edge of the softwood), I can minimize it and visually examine it after every stone. So now I finally have the feedback that I needed. Now I will not sharpen or strop over the burr, but over the true cutting edge (with the burr minimized).

There's a business near me that will sharpen your tools for a couple of quid. I opt to do that and save my time to spend on projects

As Jim Kingshott used to say "Sharpness in nothingness". Thus if light reflects off the cutting edge, you don't need a torch, then it's not sharp.

Back