Gouge Sharpening Jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ps.harris80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Looking for recommendations for a turning gouge sharpening system for use with a bench grinder.

I have been searching and it seems that the most popular (well popular on YouTube 😉) are the Wolverine Oneway or the Woodcut system, with both costing about the same.

Anyone recommend one over the other, or another system if not one of those.

Both have their pros and cons, with the Wolverine having a large adjustable tool rest for things like scrapers and the Woodcut being able to do more profile shapes including scrapers without without having to use a tool rest.

Any thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks

Paul

As you are using a bench grinder (as opposed to a linisher), I'd recommend the Tormek BGM-100
BGM-100
If you only need to grind gouges, pair the BGM-100 with the Tormek SVD-186 and you are good to go ! (check out the popular auction sites for good 2nd hand bargains) ...

Sanding disc on the outboard end of headstock. Also I quite like touching them up freehand on an oil stone.
You then don't need an expensive jig, or another expensive machine, and it's much quicker.

There is still a seller on Ebay ( Lathe tools UK ) selling a jig for sharpening gouges on a bench grinder. I have two of their units - one that includes a sloping platform with a bracket to fix to your bench; the other is a long square section rod with a v -cup to capture the tool handle, and an adaptor for a finger nail profile with its own additional bracket.

It is a lot cheaper than the "pukka" brands, but works well enough. I changed the bolt on the platform for Bristol lever to make it easier to use. The square sectioned rod could do with being a tad longer to accommodate some of my larger gouges, but I've repositioned one of the brackets much further forward to help with this.

word of caution... dubble check that yer prospective gouge sharpening attachment will fit your roughing gouge.

The makerspace I belong to has Two gouge sharpening holders, and Neither will accomodate our roughing gouge.

Not that they may not exist, but i learned along the way that one size does not fit all!

Eric in Calgary

giphy.gif

Latest posts

Back