Warco 314 band saw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, new on here,my real name is Mark, I'm 56 and I'm from Wakefield, West Yorkshire. I would like some help please on how I go about measuring for blade length for the above band saw - I know it's old, I bought it yesterday without a belt ! It's my first one and thought I would get some practice in before buying a newer model. The lad I bought it off inherited it and knows very little about it, I have tried to send a few pictures but failed drastically :( . I could send some via email if that's any use ? Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for having me - Mark

Welcome Mark. If I were you I'd give Warco a ring and ask them. Bound to have some details on the machine and might even be able to give you a manual for it.

Ring one of the well known bandsaw blade suppliers, eg Ian at Tuffsaws, tell them the model number and very likely they will know what blade length you need.

Thanks Memzey, I emailed Warco last night and this mornings reply was not good news - they've not even got a copy of the user manual, this is due to the age of my machine !

AJB Temple, thanks, iv'e just called them and just waiting for them to reply... fingers crossed :)

If you get no joy, run a piece of string around the wheels where the blade would be and measure it. Make sure you have upper wheel about in the mid range of its travel, or you might run out of adjustment when the blade is fitted. You mentioned a belt - if the belt is missing, measure the same way and try a motor factors.

I used a formula I found online to work out the blade length for my old Startrite.

(R1 x 3.1416) + (R2 x 3.1416) + (2 x C)

R = Wheel radius (so R1 is the top wheel R2 is the bottom)
C = The distance between the centre of each wheel

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks phil.p, that should've said blade instead of belt :).

Thanks yeldoow, that's wasted on me :oops: ... I'll try phil.p's string method first, if still stuck i'll try your way. Cheers gents. Mark

Looking online, it might be that your saw is the same as the CBS355 from Clarke

In which case the blade is 1778mm long

Manual here https://wiki.edinburghhacklab.com/_media/cbs355.pdf

This shows a three wheeler in which case you need the thinner gauge blades that are more flexible. Ian at Tuffsaws will understand this and supply the right sort of blade not only to run on your saw but also for the type of work you want to do.

The formula - simplified. Assuming the wheels are the same size (all the ones I've ever seen have been) is the diameter times pi plus twice the measurement between the axles. This of course only works for a two wheeled saw - a three wheeler calls for a piece of string. Again make sure the wheel isn't at the extent of its travel one way or the other.

Just done the string trick - lowered the tensioner down measured and got a reading of 70". i'm just going to look about the web for the best blade offer - 70"~1/4"~14 TPI. I've stripped my machine down and gave it a good clean - years of clogged dust :p

70"#1/4"#6 TPI... What was I thinking - 14 TPI :D

Back