Wanted - Tardis

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogmonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe this should be in the wanted section? Or maybe in the a non wood turning section? Anyway, this is where it is. As I have failed to find a Tardis on evil bay I am stuck with the double garage workshop. Now I know that I am more fortunate than many with the room I have but it is still a complete dump. How do people keep their workshops tidy? How do they find room for everything? Wood storage and roughed bowl storage is a major issue for me.

It does not help that I also have a blacksmithing interest with associated junk. Forge, Oxy propane, big fly press, anvil, leg vice etc.

How do people cope? Do people store wood outside? What about roughed bowl storage. I keep some of my roughed bowls in a wheeled stock trolley from a supermarket but this is full. I have a kin full. I have boxes full. I have wood spaltng in bins. I can't move.

I also have boxes full of finished bowls.

I have already had to give up home brew beer and cider making because I just did not have the room. Not giving up blacksmithing.

I could build a shed but I fear it would just get filled up as well. I think I need help from one of those tv de-clutter people but they would make me get rid of stuff I want to keep.

I guess I can't expect anybody to help with my general mess making but some ideas for wood storage would not go amiss.

BM

How much height do you have? Could you hang some containers from the ceiling, or if you have open joists could you rack out up there?

Joists and trusses are not great. Had to strengthen and cross brace them a couple of years ago as they were bowing and sagging badly.

I also partitioned in a quarter of the garage space for the lathe - also to keep dust and shaving out the home brew. That area is boarded over and there is as much as I dare store above it already.

Golf - not quite me :D

BM

I have a lean to for my wood and have to have a place for all my tools and machines in my workshop. Keep it tidy is also a big help I always tidy and vacuum at the end of a session.

Wood storage

2012-09-15_14-12-00_zpsa8b424cc.jpg

2012-09-15_14-12-06_zpseaac3bc6.jpg

Workshop

ws12.jpg

ws14.jpg

ws11.jpg

ws13.jpg

Sounds familiar :lol:

A big shed will buy you space and time, then shift some finished stock via craft fairs, ebay, etsy or whatever, but ultimately there is no cure, as you know :lol:

Cheers, Paul

My workshop is about 18 x 40 feet, and is still a total tip. I'm trying to sort out the storage in the shed next to it so that I can offload some stuff from the workshop. As for bogmonster, I also have an interest in metalworking, and have to make space for a milling machine etc but there's just got to be a sort out. Then it's sort out the dust issue.

K

You will never have the space you need But if wood is in log form for processing it goes on the big pile outside under a tarp and then once cut it goes in any noch and carny

bogmonster":sfdp8hr5 said:
I could build a shed but I fear it would just get filled up as well. BM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Been there done that!

My workshop is a double garage with a very high pitched roof. Filled that so built a single with up.n.over door both ends - filled that so 8 x 6 shed then another garage sized shed then a 4m x 4m plastic shed (a s/h gift) still no available space. I'd move stuff into the house but I'm scared of SWIMBO putting something nasty in my tea :shock:

Bob

Lons":y8yjrs5w said:
bogmonster":y8yjrs5w said:
I could build a shed but I fear it would just get filled up as well. BM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Been there done that!

My workshop is a double garage with a very high pitched roof. Filled that so built a single with up.n.over door both ends - filled that so 8 x 6 shed then another garage sized shed then a 4m x 4m plastic shed (a s/h gift) still no available space. I'd move stuff into the house but I'm scared of SWIMBO putting something nasty in my tea :shock:

Bob

Seek help :deer

Grayorm":27usd1g9 said:

:lol: :lol: Don't need help, I need to retire so I can use it all up on the ever expanding "list of retirement projects"

Once I start clearing out I might need to enlist the help of a guy with a strong back though - you up for it? :wink:

Bob

Lons":dyt8azh7 said:
Grayorm":dyt8azh7 said:

:lol: :lol: Don't need help, I need to retire so I can use it all up on the ever expanding "list of retirement projects"

Once I start clearing out I might need to enlist the help of a guy with a strong back though - you up for it? :wink:

Bob

Ha! I wish

I'm jealous of you all.... :cry:
My workshop is a 16'x9' wooden garage, which shares my woodworking hobbies with my car maintenance stuff. It's more of a toadstool than a tardis.... because there's not mush-room inside.... #-o

I have no option but to keep mine tidy, otherwise stuff gets lost very easily.

Thanks Andy. In work and on a conf call so could not have the sound on but enjoyed the video :)

I was wondering if I could also have an Amy Pond for my Tardis. I might loose all interest in wood turning so storage problem solved. Sadly Ms BM said no chance :(

BM

bogmonster":9a00o0f0 said:
Sadly Ms BM said no chance :( BM

Was that "no chance I wouldn't allow it" or "don't be stupid you would have NO chance" ? :lol: :lol:

Bob

Back