Want 2 practice Carpentry/Woodwork @ home but having problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I recently brought a chisel and mallet etc because i want to practice at home, and so i tried making some joints (not the ones your thinking of :lol: ) but when i was cutting, the saw was getting stuck and the portable bench was moving when i was trying to cut.
And i can`t get a proper one like Norm uses because i haven`t got enough room for it.
And so i was just wandering if anybody knew how i could resolve this problem so i can practice at home.

Thanks Alot

CarlC

Pics of your bench.

It may benifit from some diagonal bracing but without knowing what its like can't really tell what the problem is.

Jason

How about a fold down bench strapped to the side of you shed/wall/house etc. Or a couple of brackets that you could brace your current one against? (again to the wall/house).

Adam

Adam":1zc9jw6g said:
How about a fold down bench strapped to the side of you shed/wall/house etc. Or a couple of brackets that you could brace your current one against? (again to the wall/house).

Adam

:lol: What u mean? :oops: what sort of bracket?Confused
thnaks for your help though.

Carl, if you are using the bench in the shed, how about screwing 4 'L' shaped pieces of wood to the floor around the base of the legs. This should help to stop it moving about so much.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":3ekdcuhu said:
Carl, if you are using the bench in the shed, how about screwing 4 'L' shaped pieces of wood to the floor around the base of the legs. This should help to stop it moving about so much.

Paul

oh k, might try that tomoz if we have any spare. :lol:

Carl,

One other thing is to add weight to the bench, draws full of tools is a nice way but a some what cheaper option is a couple of bags of sand on the bottom shelf.

CarlC":3s6zx4hl said:
Will be getting this instead:
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... sn/WFC6880
and maybe ungrade the vice/s

For that much money, you could build a better bench that is far more practical and easier.

Anyway, I was meaning like this. You fold it up against a wall when not in use, and doesn't take any space

20536s.jpg

Or this article about making one from an old door

http://ourhouse.ninemsn.com.au/ourhouse ... 04/473.asp

Or this one..

workbench-fold-close1.jpg

I think you'll be upset with that metal thing.

Or build your own here

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ ... px?id=2249

Or here

http://www.michaelholigan.com/Departmen ... ts_id=9101

Carl, I agree with Adam. That Wolfcraft bench doesn't look very good and is quite expensive, and will cost a lot of money if you are going to upgrade the vices as well. You could probably build a better one yourself for less money and practice your joint-making at the same time.

Paul

:lol: Thanks for the help but i only want one to practice joints for the mo. :lol: Cause ionly do carpentry at college one day a week and so want to practie joints.

Carl, don't waste your money on that wolfcraft table, it wont help you out.

If you want to save cash and practice your joints, I would advice to add weight to your workmate bench this will help alot. Also, why not make a simple workbench yourself using the very joints you need to practice (Mortice and tenon I assume from your last thread).

Here is a link to a workbench I built for little money and in a short amount of time. I still use it to this day and is very sturdy: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums...&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=workbench

I feel your pain. A wobbly bench won't help you practice joints. Better quality workmate style benches have a foot rest so you can pin them down while you work.

You'll be much better off with a decent workmate, or better still making a pair of saw horses or a home made bench, than spending quite a lot of your hard earned monies on another wobbly bench. It's surprising what you can do with a bunch of clamps and some ingenuity.

Carl,

I have one of those benches kicking around so I can understand your frustration too. However, whilst they are pretty dire, they are not completely useless, if used with care - I hand cut all the timber for a stud partition as well as some short joists on mine. So making a couple of saw horses should certainly be feasible and with a little ingenuity you can do much with them.

Dave

Carl,

What size wood are you cutting and how are you holding it?

I've got a couple of those benches and use them like saw horses, the jaws are not very level and for sawing joints I use a bench hook rather that clamping (keep one foot on the bench rail or weigh the whole thing down).

I think the thing to address is why the saw is jamming in the kerf. What is the set on the saw, are you moving your arm back and fore in a straight line, are you letting the saw do the work rather than pushing down (and thereby closing the kerf onto the saw. Have you lubricated the saw blade (candle wax)?

Even for practice joints be careful which wood you use - if it isn't flat and square you won't get a good fit.

HTH

Just got my Screwfix direct Catalogue be getting some most off my tools out of there.
I`m so happy :lol:

Back