A complete newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8 Fossil

Reaction score
G'day folks. As the title says I'm a complete newbie to woodworking having been a bit of a petrol head all my days. Had a go at retiring but got bored awfully quick so back doing an hour or two a day until later this year. Somehow or other I found my way here and I like what I see. My woodworking toolkit is sadly lacking and it consists of a dog rough cheapo tenon saw at 10tpi, three tired old Stanley chisels which were more at home scraping the remnants of gaskets off engines, a couple of old try squares and a Stanley tape measure. Obviously I need to spend a shilling or three if I want to cut anything more than a small tree branch.

For some reason I want to have a go at a Morris Chair like this but in pine as a hardwood item would be a bit of a challenge.
https://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/gustav-stickley-morris-chair/
The last time I did any woodworking was school which was decades ago and I've no intention of buying any fancy power tools at the moment as I want to do it the old way so when I'm in town again I will buy myself some bits and pieces, eg, an oil stone, mallet, fine tenon saw and maybe a marking gauge but first I need to clear space.

Norm.

Welcome on board. I expect your old Stanley chisels once sharpened will be more than adequate for any woodworking task.

Hi and welcome-as a complete newbie I think as well as a few new tools you may want to practice a few basic cuts and joints 1st . Do you intend using hand tools only or a combination of hand tools/ power tools. Have a look through the for sale posts as there is always a few bargains to help build your tool arsenal. Good luck 🤞

Thanks guys, I'm just back in with a nice new Stanley sharpening system as they call it and so this is the start of a whole new journey.

No intention of buying power tools just yet as I would like to get some practice doing a good few mortice and tenon joints. Funny how it is still in the memory after all those years.

Now where did I put that stone?

Thanks guys, I'm just back in with a nice new Stanley sharpening system as they call it and so this is the start of a whole new journey.

No intention of buying power tools just yet as I would like to get some practice doing a good few mortice and tenon joints. Funny how it is still in the memory after all those years.

Now where did I put that stone?
You’re very close to starting a sharpening thread - trust me it’s best avoided 🫣🫣🫣

Back