Walnut tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been turning recently some branch offcuts from trees of ours - pens I use 25mm square so can be turned from quite small diameter branches...

As you have a chainsaw:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32534273...XwgzqajSc-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Bought one like it a few years back and it works very well.

Branches should be cut to length at least three times width and end sealed, that will be best for turning as there's probably too much reaction wood for stable planks.

Clear trunk I'd mill 2 inch slabs around 8ft long and put it in stick somewhere to dry. If you get 50% useable that's not bad going.

Before getting too excited about the tree's potential it would be worth cross cutting near the base and having a look to see how much, if any, dark coloured heartwood it contains.

Forty years old isn't that mature and it may contain little or none which would be disappointing if you've spent money on any kit or a portable mill service, although I don't think it's just age that influences that, but it can be a bit random :)
I'd agree with that assesment. I have a customer who was gifted a Walnut tree for a birthday about 50 years ago but where it was planted meant that it was a threat to her property so she had it felled.

Knowing that I 'turned' she offered me some - when I went to collect it I was dismayed to see that it had been 'butchered' into short rounds nothing longer than 12" but more so to realize that there was virtually no 'heart wood'.

I have been turning recently some branch offcuts from trees of ours - pens I use 25mm square so can be turned from quite small diameter branches...
Are pens turned from branches, ie with pith, better than turned from larger sawn pieces?

This is a walnut tree I planked a couple of years ago - I was expecting something different. It's still in the shed drying out, but it isn't what I had in mind when i took on the job of felling the tree and clearing up the mess in return for the wood. Worth checking if there is usable wood before spending money.

1673683492673.png

40 years old is a young walnut tree, How big is the trunk in Diameter? I would be surprised if there is much usable timber in it. The sapwood is pale & wide & of no value except as firewood. The dark heartwood is the valuable bit. For anyone thinking of cutting one up bear in mind that the most highly figured wood will be at the base where the roots flare out & where the branches flare out. So if someone sticks a chainsaw through just above ground level or close to the crotch of branches they will ruin the best bits

There are different types of walnut, Juglans regia produces the best nuts, Juglans nigra the best timber

Took some photos earlier.....

FFECF97A-2F8A-4A03-8792-0CDDC117CA63.jpeg

Rough dimensions are as follows:-
A has a diameter of about 600mm (2ft) and the distance from base to B is about 1500mm
B to E is about 1700mm
C diameter is about 300mm
D diameter is about 200mm
E diameter is about 150mm

5201B4F9-ECA3-4372-994E-4E3C4F274CB3.jpeg63079D70-1994-42BD-9475-6221F88D1179.jpeg5DD4217C-753E-41EB-B5B5-310226985B41.jpeg039DC465-DCAE-4069-96A1-A766DC88FB0E.jpeg

As you have a chainsaw:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32534273...XwgzqajSc-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Bought one like it a few years back and it works very well.

Branches should be cut to length at least three times width and end sealed, that will be best for turning as there's probably too much reaction wood for stable planks.

Clear trunk I'd mill 2 inch slabs around 8ft long and put it in stick somewhere to dry. If you get 50% useable that's not bad going.
Wow! Just watched a YT vid on it.....got me thinking! 😁👍

Back