Wadkin RS tool rests

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I don't seem to be able to find anything amongst the current crop of modular tool rest systems to fit my Wadkin RS.
Has anyone else found anything else recently or is the only option to fabricate your own?

Can anyone recommend any really good designs before i start working from scratch?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for your responses
I have one of the Sorby posts for the box scraper rest but they have been out of stock for months, the thread on the top really doesn't look strong enough for what i have in mind, and it is only one of the components required,
Wadkin double tool rest.jpg

The guy i bought my lathe off had a complete set of rests that were exact copies of the original for his double length RS 10 but couldn't be persuaded to make me another set
I drafted a design last night, so now all I need to find is a small engineer to make up the parts at a sensible price.
Even with CAD files all the CNC shops work out expensive for small batches.

Can you weld or know someone who can? I've seen some made up from angle iron with an hss rod welded along for the tools to rest on if you only need a simple tool rest

The cross sectional profile of Wadkin tool rests are not as simple as they look.
You can get away with simple angular cross section, but they do not match the original Wadkin design.
I ended up having a tool maker make several tool rests of different lengths - to match the Wadkin profile. Was this really necessary ? Probably not.

The RS6 geometry does pose some interesting design challenges, give that there is only 70mm to work with between the top of the tool rest holder and the centre of the work piece, and the blind hole in the tool rest holder only gives you about 35mm of actual post height adjustment.
Something for the RS8 or 10 would be a little easier.
the Wadkin designs are also configured for the turning skills used by patternmakers which are very different to those of modern wood turning.

Sawtooh-9, I would appreciate a picture of what you had made up to compare what i have designed to see if i have missed anything fundamental.

The cross sectional profile of Wadkin tool rests are not as simple as they look.
You can get away with simple angular cross section, but they do not match the original Wadkin design.
I ended up having a tool maker make several tool rests of different lengths - to match the Wadkin profile. Was this really necessary ? Probably not.
Man after my own heart, good for you.

The RS6 geometry does pose some interesting design challenges, give that there is only 70mm to work with between the top of the tool rest holder and the centre of the work piece, and the blind hole in the tool rest holder only gives you about 35mm of actual post height adjustment.
Something for the RS8 or 10 would be a little easier.
the Wadkin designs are also configured for the turning skills used by patternmakers which are very different to those of modern wood turning.

Sawtooh-9, I would appreciate a picture of what you had made up to compare what i have designed to see if i have missed anything fundamental.
Will send a few pics, but it might be a week or two before I take the pics

Thanks for your responses
I have one of the Sorby posts for the box scraper rest but they have been out of stock for months, the thread on the top really doesn't look strong enough for what i have in mind, and it is only one of the components required,
View attachment 148955
The guy i bought my lathe off had a complete set of rests that were exact copies of the original for his double length RS 10 but couldn't be persuaded to make me another set
I drafted a design last night, so now all I need to find is a small engineer to make up the parts at a sensible price.
Even with CAD files all the CNC shops work out expensive for small batches.
Hi, I am the guy that you are talking about. First of all, I don't do woodturning; it frightens the dung out of me! The man who does our woodturning said I had made a good job of them but they were difficult to adjust hight wise. I cured that by making one tool holder's hole a sixteenth bigger in diameter which cured the problem and still clamped up okay. When I made these, and machined them out of bright-mild steel, the steel kept curling out of straight and I had to keep straightening them. Then, all was well!

Since then, I have constructed a twelve-inch double length R.S. lathe, for which I had to make two new tool rest holders, as per my attached photos. I made the height two inches higher so that I could use the tool rests off an R.S. ten-inch lathe. I have also motorised the travelling carriage as it is a long way (ten foot) to turn the handle from one end to the other.

Finally, in query, I have made the new tool holders with the holes at the rear as per the last Wadkin produced models. Can anybody tell me what these holes were for? Over the years, I have built, rebuilt and modified several R.S. lathes and have accumilated a lot of information but would still be appreciative of any odd pieces of information that anybody is willing to share. For example, as Wadkin did not produce their own castings, who did?

Stan

Wadkin RS lathe Tool Rest Holder 1.JPGWadkin RS lathe Tool Rest Holder 2.JPG

There were a couple of foundries in Leicester - I think Richardsons is one my dad has mentioned. There must have been a serious amount of casting going on in Leicester, given there were so many machine manufacturers in such a small area.

To answer the original question, on my RS6 I use the original rest, I've also made up a 1 1/8" threaded adapter to use the modular sorby rests (for smaller work they're great, and its always nice to have options. I also managed to get a bare reproduction casting of the gap bed toolrest arm (the hockey stick shaped one) which is incredibly handy when turning large diameters. Had a lot of fun machining it as well.

Stan you are an absolute legend, the lathe runs perfectly and is a joy to use.
Anytime you would like to rehome the 12" double I will be happy to help.

Could the Hole in the casting be a datum point to aid the machining of the casting in its early stages it would explain the superfluous flat area that it is drilled through which would be used as a reference point (Similar to those you find on old engine blocks) when the casting was inverted to cut the base surface which I would anticipate would be the 1st cut to be made on the raw casting?

There are a great may other bits for this I would love to have but half the fun will be making them.

There were a couple of foundries in Leicester - I think Richardsons is one my dad has mentioned. There must have been a serious amount of casting going on in Leicester, given there were so many machine manufacturers in such a small area.

To answer the original question, on my RS6 I use the original rest, I've also made up a 1 1/8" threaded adapter to use the modular sorby rests (for smaller work they're great, and its always nice to have options. I also managed to get a bare reproduction casting of the gap bed toolrest arm (the hockey stick shaped one) which is incredibly handy when turning large diameters. Had a lot of fun machining it as well.
Thank you for replying , it will give me a starting point towards finding out more about Richardsons and if they actually made castings for Wadkin.

Not 100% but I heard the hole at the bottom was for holding a referance template or picture. RS's are the favourite of production turners.

I have a lathe with 1 1/4" diameter tool post for which very few tool rests come up. I have found two solutions. One is to buy a piece of mild steel tube which is 1" internal diameter and 1 1/4" outside diameter, cut it lengthways with a hacksaw so it expands and contracts, and then use 1" tool posts which are easier to find. I am sure the same could be done for 1 1/8".

I have also found that Tool Rests make some very nice quality tool rests and they will make them with a custom toolpost size which is very handy. However they are based in the US and they are expensive tool rests. They also make a low profile straight rest which may help with your RS6 height issue.

Latest posts

Back