Wadkin Bursgreen BEL spindle moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am after some advice about the following wadkin Bursgreen BEL Spindle Moulder,
I am picking it up tomorrow but it was listed on an liquidation auction site as spares.... and at £35 including all the fees it could be a bargin if its an easy fix (if not a little money pit) the company who were running the auction have no idea of the machine so no help and wont pass the details of the seller as they are not around.
What I am hoping is a project that would need a few pieces but I can't find a manual for it as every BEL one I look at isn't the same model as the one I will be picking up tomorrow. I have found a few videos on YouTube of one running but no manual , I'm sure I can approach a supplier of wadkin and ask if they have a manual but thought I would ask the collective knowledge first.

The 2 pictures below, the green dusty one is the one I am picking up, the other is one that is similar model (wish it was a longer bed but hay ho)
Even if it takes months to get up and running it will be worth it.
If anyone has any advice I would be hugely appreciative

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221109_074545.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109_074545.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 0
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
Worst ways you could break it up and sell the parts and more than recoup your costs. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would be interested.
That's exactly what I was thinking, will cost more in time to pick it up then the machine, just have to make sure I get everything I can with it lol

Wadkin Bursgreen sell a used one for £3650 with a auto feed so think its worth restoring if its an easy fix lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221109-133603_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109-133603_Samsung Internet.jpg
    828.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221109-133613_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109-133613_Samsung Internet.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 0
Wow, that’s a bargain even if you weigh it in. (Don’t!)

Get it home, clean up and see what you’ve got. Wadkin spares are expensive, but you have plenty of budget left to build up a very good machine.

Wow, that’s a bargain even if you weigh it in. (Don’t!)

Get it home, clean up and see what you’ve got. Wadkin spares are expensive, but you have plenty of budget left to build up a very good machine.
An hour before the end of the auction it went from £50 down to £26 so thought what the hell, I know the parts are not cheap but even if its just a new motor its worth it

Just got a reply from wadkin Bursgreen and they said they don't have a manual for my spindle, but the more modern non variable (while moving) should be close enough for parts.
Not the answer I wanted but will have to get over it

all you can do is get it home and plug it in then listen to the noise it makes i think this has a mechanical variable-speed drive unit that changes speeds as the cones are opened and closed. Harrison vs330 lathe has similar setup on drive motor

all you can do is get it home and plug it in then listen to the noise it makes i think this has a mechanical variable-speed drive unit that changes speeds as the cones are opened and closed. Harrison vs330 lathe has similar setup on drive motor
I have a cheap clarke lathe that is the same as your Harrison one, a lever to Adjust the speed so the mechanics should be easy enough to work out 🤞 its just if it's missing any parts, like the motor lol
I'm hoping the auction company just came in, saw it was all taken apart and disconnected and assumed it was dead 🙏🙏🙏

if the vari drive is junk or parts missing dont worry.....
I'd convert it to stepped pully's......
u really dont need that complication in a spindle moulder....
just a sales gimick....but I supose if u have money to burn u could use a VFD........
My old Wadkin had 3 speeds "damm if I can remember" and I can never remember changing it...
in fact Iused it as it came.....and I did miles of Oak skirting with it....
the only vary speed equip to use with ur spindle is a power feed system....

if the vari drive is junk or parts missing dont worry.....
I'd convert it to stepped pully's......
u really dont need that complication in a spindle moulder....
just a sales gimick....but I supose if u have money to burn u could use a VFD........
My old Wadkin had 3 speeds "damm if I can remember" and I can never remember changing it...
in fact Iused it as it came.....and I did miles of Oak skirting with it....
the only vary speed equip to use with ur spindle is a power feed system....
The scm t130 I used to use in my old workshop, I used to change the speed often but that was easy enough to do and using a r&f cutter essential as it sounded like a plane taking off lol

Update on the machine! It looks really good, have almost everything for it (top guard to cover the spindle cutters)
The spindle spins freely, after a bit of tlc I can adjust the speed pullys (need a new belt tho), the fence is spot on after 2 pieces of paper behind one fence
Now to get it plumbed in and hope i got an absolute bargin through poor discription or lack of knowlage/infomation

Attachments

• 16681739330471216791792517144985.jpg
    16681739330471216791792517144985.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 16681739512931154761608361614066.jpg
    16681739512931154761608361614066.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221111_115341.jpg
    20221111_115341.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221111_114648.mp4
    23.3 MB