Volume of 1/2 tonne of coal.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
I had 1/2 of oval smokeless coal delivered and need to build a bunker.

If I make it 32" square I can use 1 sheet of ply but 48" will require 2 sheets. Up against a wall so will omit a back.

Which size do I need?

Cheers James

Twelve and a half 40kg bags of coal dosen't sound like it would fit to me.
edit, you can get five bags per stack on a pallet.

Last edited:
I had 1/2 of oval smokeless coal delivered and need to build a bunker.

If I make it 32" square I can use 1 sheet of ply but 48" will require 2 sheets. Up against a wall so will omit a back.

Which size do I need?

Cheers James
I'm not sure I'd use ply for this, but anthracite seems to have a density of about 1.3 tonnes per cubic metre. Assuming your oval nuggets pack reasonably space-efficiently, your coal shouldn't need much more than about 0.5 m3 to store.
One sheet of ply can enclose 2.2x1.2= 2.88 m2 which would be a cube of side area (including lid) 2.88/6= 0.48m2 or 693mm side length. But of course the shape of the sheet doesn't help, so you probably need 2 sheets!
I get mine in 25kg bags and I'm trying to visualise what 20 of them looks like - you might need more than one sheet on that basis alone!

Do you know the volume of a builders dumpy bag full of aggregate? As in the volume that they are sold with / what you would get if you ordered one?

That is, normally, 825kg ish. Coal would be less dense so larger.

What's a dumpy bag, about 3 foot by 3 foot and they're normally full to, what, about 2 foot 6?

I don't know the answer... It's going to be borderline in your smaller size, that's for sure!

What about just ringing whoever is selling you it and asking them? They must know better than any of us?

Build your bunker first, calculate the volume of said bunker. Call whoever delivers your coal and ask for said volume.....if it turns up and you've got too much it's a bonus! and if it's not enough ring and complain that they've messed up their calculations ;):giggle:

I think I'll go for 32" and whatever us left over can go in the log store. 4ft is going jut out into the drive a bit too much.

Cheers James

If you match the size of your bunker to the volume of your coal delivery, you will almost certainly have too little storage.

If you reorder before the bunker is empty, you will need storage for your next delivery + what remains from previous deliveries not used.

Unless space or cost is an issue I would be inclined to de-risk the build - cutting one sheet to size and finding the result is inadequate wastes both the effort and the sheet of ply.

Well, coal has a density of about 1.3 tonnes per cubic metre. So half a tonne would occupy about 0.39 cubic metres if compressed into a single lump.
James' 32" bunker (assuming 48" height) would be 0.81 cubic metres. So the coal would fit in given a packing fraction of 0.47 or greater. The maximum random packing fraction for spheres is about 0.62, so touch and go I'd say!
But Terry is right - you need to allow for restocking.
It's an interesting question though - to me at least. I'm planning a log store and trying to work out how big I need to make it. Some firewood suppliers seem to think a builder's bag of randomly packed logs counts as a tonne!
Rob.

........... Some firewood suppliers seem to think a builder's bag of randomly packed logs counts as a tonne!
Rob.
It may do if it's wet. That's why it's better to buy by volume.
Did you get your bowl gouge sorted Rob? I've got a spare one of you want it, give us a shout.

Did you get your bowl gouge sorted Rob? I've got a spare one of you want it, give us a shout.
Not yet Jacob - I was was waiting on the arrival of Keith Rowley's book arrived before making a decision. It came today and I am eagerly reading.
Thanks for your offer - I'll PM you.
Apologies to the OP for off topic content!
Rob.

What about just ringing whoever is selling you it and asking them? They must know better than any of us?

I agree, all the answers here are based on (perfectly reasonable) assumptions, but first hand knowledge has to be the best route.

I also think you need to oversize the bunker to allow for overlap of delivery (Terry's point)

Get the two sheets and go for the 48" wide. Surely you can't mess about, the coal will be delivered soon enough.
32" wide and 48" high is out of proportion, and likely wouldn't be able to cope with the height when full of coal.

How are you planning getting it out? You might want an open side to allow for shovelling. I'd be looking at clearing a corner and getting a few concrete blocks to edge the pile with whilst keeping the front open. It's adaptable according to volume then

I built one to 48" x 48" and can loose board the front up to 60" and it holds 1 ton of ovals.

Coal can be wet when delivered bagged although it shouldn't be. I only get small quantities to supplement logs now, my 'bunker' comprises 2 paving slabs on the ground, 2 concrete blocks each side and a cover, currently a bit of old shed wall. I would worry about the longevity of ply in contact with coal at the bottom of the store.

The bunkers I remember from the late 50s when most homes used coal were mostly pre cast concrete sections or galvanised. If you search online you get some with dimensions, just found a galvanised one that says it takes 500kg and is 1160x900x715 mm.

As Richard C just said, plywood won’t last at all and you will have real problems with the weight of coal pushing the boards outwards so you will need to do something really clever at the corners, have you considered using scaffolding boards? You could half and half them like a log cabin at the corners Much more durable. Ian

Update.....

I made a 32 x32 x32" approx bunker out of a sheet of plywood.

Rough and ready but should do the job will stain it when I get a chance. Does not have a base or back.

It has a capacity of 400kgs + as I had 1 1/2 bag left over.

When the coal runs out I'll order some more as it's not our primary heating source.

Cheers James

Attachments

• IMG-20210204-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210204-WA0004.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-20210204-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210204-WA0005.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back