Volume of 1/2 tonne of coal.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you get it out? Did you build a hatch at the bottom?
A bit of dowel or broom handle is handy for wrapping felt round to save it cracking. ;)

Lastly in pertinent questions of the day. Is it the same weight as 400kg of feathers?

I didn't put a hatch in as I didn't have any hinges and wasn't going to go to the shops just for 2 more hinges!

I can put one on later.

Cheers James

No criticism James. Just experience, coal comes out better from the bottom. You don't need hinges mate. Just a simple overcut bit held in place by some sleeves. Slide it up and down by hand. It will make your life 100 times better when collecting coal. The coal will not all roll out when you lift it you'll need a little coal shovel. Every coal hole in history can't be wrong mate.

I didn't put a hatch in as I didn't have any hinges and wasn't going to go to the shops just for 2 more hinges!

I can put one on later.

Cheers James
surely for a hatch you don't want hinges, but a slide up door? if you hinge it the coal will always push it open.

also i was wondering before when you said you had one and a half bags left over why you aren't just storing it as a stack of bags?

Good point on the slider will put one on.

Because 1/2 coal is s massive eye sore!!!

Left over will go by end February....

Cheers James

Well, coal has a density of about 1.3 tonnes per cubic metre. So half a tonne would occupy about 0.39 cubic metres if compressed into a single lump.
James' 32" bunker (assuming 48" height) would be 0.81 cubic metres. So the coal would fit in given a packing fraction of 0.47 or greater. The maximum random packing fraction for spheres is about 0.62, so touch and go I'd say!
But Terry is right - you need to allow for restocking.
It's an interesting question though - to me at least. I'm planning a log store and trying to work out how big I need to make it. Some firewood suppliers seem to think a builder's bag of randomly packed logs counts as a tonne!
Rob.
We're due a delivery of firewood today - kiln dried stuff. They user their own 'builders bags' which they say hold 1.3 cubic metres.

Latest posts

Back